Provisioning volume on Cisco SPA501G and SPA502G

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by craigray, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigray

Hi,
    We wish to use the phone system as a backup for our PA system within the school. The issue is that the teachers turn down the paging volume of the handsets to the point that you cannot hear the announcements.

Does the community know of a way to edit the provisioning (XML) template of the SPA series phone to ensure that the paging volume is set to value which is realistic for the use of the phone in the manner described?

Thanks

Craig Rayner

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I am uncertain that there is a practical solution using provisioning as it is one of those things that is not monitored or a continuous process. By this I mean that if the volume is turned down, there is no monitoring going on by which the system would know this and could then correct it back to a default setting. Furthermore, the provisioning process is not like a refresh process where it is continually running in the background constantly updating the phones. The phones usually check and request it on a periodic basis or upon a reboot.

I suppose you could program a template to set the speaker volume to +XX, how much you want and that auto-answer for page is on
    and then set the provisioning cycle to occur on a much more frequent basis so that the phones check in more often, but again the issue will be when the teachers manually adjust versus when the provisioning process hits.

You will have to play with it and try as it could also be that when the phone sees a need to re-provision, it causes a reboot, which may be an undesirable side-effect and a trigger key by which, the teachers learn to immediately reset the volume back to their preference.

3. craigray

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that the provisioning cycle would be enough to overwrite the volume control. Currently the process is that you wind up the volume manually, but the next day the volume has been reset to a lower value by provisioning.

The question is not the process, but HOW do I set the volume in the template?

I have looked through the template but do not see a setting for volume. What do I need to add to the template is the basis of my question.

I assume I would add something like:

<SpeakerVolume>+30</SpeakerVolume>

but I have no idea what the correct term would be, nor any document that I have to read mentions such a thing. Any Idea?

4. craigray

Found some provisioning information on the CISCO web site

<!-- Audio Volume -->

<Ringer_Volume ua="rw">8</Ringer_Volume>
    <Speaker_Volume ua="rw">15</Speaker_Volume>
    <Handset_Volume ua="rw">10</Handset_Volume>
    <Headset_Volume ua="rw">10</Headset_Volume>
    <Handset_Version ua="rw">Auto</Handset_Version> <!-- options: Auto/Original/v3 -->
    <Deep_Bass ua="rw">Default</Deep_Bass> <!-- options: Default/HiDef/Standard -->

Working with that now.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.