Provisioning with Multiple Ports

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TheInternship, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheInternship

I'm an intern working on my company's phone system. It's on the SPA-525/G2 model and System 12. I've already done a template for most phones but what I was wondering is if someone's IP address has multiple ports(Like they might have a phone for Sales or Support) would provisioning their original phone mess any of that up?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not clear on what you are asking but can hopefully provide an answer that will suffice.

Sets with the same extension number can exist on different IP's but the extension settings(in 3CX) must allow calls to more than one set at at time...use the busy status of the set rather than the busy status of the extension number (PBX).

If you are talking about auto provisioning of a set, this usually makes use of the unique MAC address of an individual set using a file that contains that MAC number, so ....one set, one provisioning file.

There could be other interactions between sets sharing common features, ring groups, call pick-up, etc.. You would have to be a bit more specific in what you are intending to do, and hoping to avoid.

3. TheInternship

Sorry I'm new at all of this. What I mean is that there are some IP addresses of phones that have multiple ports. So it would be like xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:5060...5061.. and so on. The 5061 port would be for something like Support or Sales that is with another persons phone. If I provisioned the 5060 IP address with my custom template would it affect the other lines?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are editing a template that is used to create provisioning files for more than one set, then you may run into problems. If you are unsure, create a couple of back-ups of the original template (on a USB stick) before you change anything.

Each of the ports, on one set will be a particular line key. if you are manually modifying the provisioning file for one set, and changing features for one port (extension number on one key), then it should not affect any other set. The provisioning file should contain the MAC for that one set which means that it will not be "picked up" by any other set requesting their provisioning file.

5. TheInternship

So what you're saying is as long as I am provisioning one phone it shouldn't affect the other ports that are with that line?

6. jasit

jasit New Member

check the provision files, because some of them are setup to disable the other accounts on the phone, those lines can be commented out so that they are missing and don't change the settings on the phone,

jasit

7. TheInternship

Okay so what I was actually asking was how to provision a phone with a custom template to have multiple extensions. The only way that I have found that to actually work is by adding in Ext_2..3..4 for everything that Ext_1 would have in the provisioning file. It will pull everything but it doesn't get the authentication information for the extension.

8. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

We use multiple provisioning files and hard code data into the additional accounts where necessary.
    this doesn't help when passwords change - but hopefully you do not have to do that too often. just ensure you use strong passwords from the getco.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Craig has it right.

The issue is that provisioning files are based upon the hardware MAC address as this is the only constant. As the MAC is associated to a single extension, it will only pull that extensions credentials. If you were to try and associate the phone, via the provisioning, to another extension, 3CX would give you an warning about the MAC already being assigned to an existing extension. You simply have to code it into the template that is unique for the extension of interest.

To Jasit's point, you can manually provision the other accounts, but you will need to insure that the templates do not contain info that would overwrite the manual entries to something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.