• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

PSTN Gateway comparable to Nortel BCM-GASM8

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyar600

Reaction score
Hello guys I am new here and with all my research 3CX seems to be one of the best IP PBX system out there. Our phone provider is providing a package/solution for one of our office locations which is costing loads of money to say the least. I have looked at the proposal so that I can get a solution/package with 3CX. There package involves a Nortel BCM-GASM8 for eight (8) analog lines which there line will be connection to. What I would like to know is what exactly is this interface/connector on there called? Also which supported 3CX gateway can I use to allow this very same line and connector attach to that would then link up to the 3CX system?

The only one I have been able to find is from Sangoma model A400 but I don't see it as a selectable option from the application. Any assitance on this would be appreciated guys. Thanks much in advance.

Hi there,

Depending on your budget there are the sangoma as you have previously mentioned, Patton and grand stream or linksys. These devices have 2 or more connectors on the back, one for the Lan and one for analog lines which you connect to your local telco line.

You could also go for having a voip provider sip trunk set up on your machine rather then analogue lines, which in turns cost cheaper as for installation and depending on where you live cheaper to call.

kyar600 said:
There package involves a Nortel BCM-GASM8 for eight (8) analogue lines which there line will be connection to. What I would like to know is what exactly is this interface/connector on there called? Also which supported 3CX gateway can I use to allow this very same line and connector attach to that would then link up to the 3CX system?

The BCM-GASM8 is an add-on to allow analogue lines to be run from a BCM200/400 Nortel IP switch. If you currently have the BCM200 or 400 in place and plan on keeping it then you will probably have to go with the BCM-GASM8. Nortel generally uses their own proprietary (UNIStim) VoIP that is not SIP compatible. What you were probably hoping to do, run a SIP ATA off of one of the VoIP extensions to connect to an analogue set probably won't work.

Actually I have no system in place. This is for a new location that is still being built at the moment. The Nortel information I am mentioning here is from the phone company's proposal. Does it mean that if they will be offering analog lines the gateway I use must have multiple RJ11 connections? Is there a 3CX supported gateway which allows for a single connection from the telephone company which would include eight (8) anaolog lines or maybe some sort of cable or interface in between?

This device will interface up to 8 analogue lines to the Nortel board. If you go with the Nortel PBX and you want PSTN lines then you will have to go this route. I'm assuming (I'm not familiar with the Nortel PBX) that if you decide to go VoIP instead, then you may need a different interface board.

kyar600 said:
Does it mean that if they will be offering analogue lines the gateway I use must have multiple RJ11 connections? Is there a 3CX supported gateway which allows for a single connection from the telephone company which would include eight (8) analogue lines or maybe some sort of cable or interface in between?

What you are talking about is the physical connection from the telephone company demac to customer equipment. That can and does vary from one installation to another. The phone company may just terminate at a connector block, it is up to you or your interconnect company to run the appropriate cables/connectors to your equipment/PBX. If it only has RJ11 connectors, then there would have to be a block where you would plug in your RJ11 cables. Since it sounds like you may be getting the local phone company to install then I'm sure that they will take care of hooking in the lines. The only way you would be able to get more than one trunk on a connector (OK, you could actually get three on a single RJ11 as it uses 6 wires), is to go with a VoIP provider. Then all trunking would be over an RJ45 (Ethernet) to a highspeed LAN modem/connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRNC IT Infrastructure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.