PSTN Gateway Recommendation

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rocketman, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketman

Hello,

I am wanting to replace an analog wireless phone system (Panasonic KX-TG4000B) with an IP LAN solution. I have 4 PSTN lines total that will eventually be needed to hookup to the system. While I want to take advantage of VoIP features, my PSTN lines are very cost effective and I don't want to switch to VoIP across the Internet yet; I just want to use IP phones and soft clients at the house and use the inbound and outbound calling across three of the lines. The fourth one is a fax line.

Fax to email, soft clients, etc are very intriguing. However, is 3CX a good solution for me and if so, which PSTN Gateway does the community recommend. Thanks.

Rocket Man.

2. Chris Martin

Hi,

https://www.3cx.com/support/ lists a number of PSTN gateways we support. Please look at the Grandstream GSW4104, Audiocodes MP114/118 non-hybrid FXOs, or Patton SmartNode 4114.

Brgds,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ess

ess New Member

I have to agree. The Patton is great. I tried having multiple SPA3102's for a while and tinkered forever. With all of the hours I put into those, the slightly higher price of the Patton would have been paid for after about a week.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rocketman

Thanks. Just the kind of help I needed. I will get the Patton 4114 for starters. IP phones are next.

5. rocketman

Alright, so I have the Patton 4114, a couple of softphones that can call each other across the network very nicely, with the FREE version of 3cx loaded and running. However, I must be doing something wrong because i can't get the Patton 4114 ports to register with 3CX. I have one POTS line plugged in, but none of the ports seem to register. I do see the device on the network and can access it through a browser without any trouble.

I ran the 3CX ADD PSTN GATEWAY process, generated a file and uploaded it to the 4114 and followed the instructions to reboot the 4114. I see the changes in the 4114, but the 3CX does not show the four ports registered. Don't know where to go next. Is there a sample configuration for both the system and the 4114. I'm sure I made some incorrect selections, but it sounded so easy to follow the defaults, I was surprised I have been unable to get it to work.

Thoughts, anyone?

Rocket Man.

6. worksighted

worksighted New Member

Make sure you generate a R5.2 compatible file from 3CX and you likely have to upload the 5.2 firmware to the patton, it might ship with somethign different.

Best,

Mike

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

According to my info, Pattons are still shipping with 4.2 - in which case be sure to use the 4.X templates. That said, 5.2 is a lot better but upgrading the patton to 5.2 is a little bit of a hassle.

8. rocketman

Re: PSTN Gateway Recommendation -SOLVED

I started all over and viola, 5.2 works fine. Thanks for the help, folks. Now I can concentrate on testing and hopefully move to 3cx permanently.

Thanks again.

Rocket Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.