Public Domain Phone Connection

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by chadsync, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chadsync

Hello,

I am currently working with Version 9 and would like to update the domain which we register against, currently (sip.mydomain.com) and would like to have (voip.mynewdomain.com). Updating the 'local domain' does not seem to allow this change, however is there a service restart required?

The domain allows an update, restarted 3CX however still cannot register against the updated domain, old still works fine.

Your insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Who are you trying to register with? The (your) domain name allows 3CX to accept incoming calls in the format 223456@mydomain.com (rather than your public IP) and not reject them. At least, this is my experience.

3. chadsync

Makes sense and this would be the local domain setting correct?

To clarify I'm using Polycom phones and entering (sip.mydomain.com) and corresponding information, which registers just fine with 3CX, updating to a new domain(voip.mydomain.com) and 3CX rejects the extension registering.

Where in 3CX can I update to allow the new domain to be recognized for extensions to register against?

Hope this helps,

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have to assume that these sets are at a remote location, otherwise they should be registering against the internal IP of the server/PC running 3CX.

If a device outside your local LAN (somewhere out on the internet) wants to register with 3CX, then it can do so in one of (generally)two ways. Using the public (static) IP + port (5060)that your router/firewall has been assigned by your ISP, or, your domain name. The domain name, if used, gets translated (by a DNS server) into the public IP.

If you have dynamic IP then you can use a service from a company such as DynDNS.com that will assign you the equivalent of a domain name so that devices can reach you even if your IP changes. This requires that your router, or another device on your network keeps the service up to date if your IP changes.

5. chadsync

Hello, much appreciate the details here and you are correct the phones are connecting via remote internet connection. All settings are in play for the dns and the 3cx server log shows appropriate activity, accept allowing the registration.

3cx is in a data center with static addresses accordingly, a step I just did was to use only the static IP and registration went through without issue. Using a domain is nice since any changes such as an update to another IP or failing over to another server.

Is there anything else within 3cx that's holding the original domain and not allowing an update?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that you've re-started or re-booted the server.

If you go into 3CX, left side menu..Settings/Advanced, then the Custom Parameters tab, about 16 from the bottom is SIPDOMAIN. Make sure that your change is reflected there.

Other than that, I don't know where else it would be buried, that would need to be changed.

7. chadsync

Nice tip, when I do go into the update 'local sip domain' within 'advanced' tab the domain also updates under custom as you mentioned. Therefore not sure what the issue is, however I will make a few other adjustments tonight during down time and see if this can't be corrected.

Thanks for your insight and I'll post an update following!

8. chadsync

Okay, I tried updating the domain, restarting and all remains the same. If I use the IP only which both domains are pointing to, this works, the current domain works. Trying to use the new domain does not work, the current domain works even with the new domain in place on SIP domain within 3CX.

Very peculiar, not sure what is restricting to only the original domain or IP?

9. chadsync

Upon changing the domain from a (.ca) extension to one with (.com) all is well, it appears 3CX for some reason does not accept that particular extension. The original domain had (.com) also, therefore by matching extensions register without a problem:)

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That's very odd. I use my dynDNS info as my domain, and it doesn't use .com . I can't see that there should be any restrictions on the datafill.

11. chadsync

I agree, configured the mentioned domain the same and the log show all regisrations without error. Not sure, but it's repeatable, odd indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.