Solved Purpose Of Ring Groups vs Call Queues?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Levi Koenig, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi Koenig

Running 3CX Professional latest 15.5

I am setting up my companies phone system and I am a little confused as to what the purpose of 'Ring Groups' are vs 'Call Queues'. In what cases would someone use a RingGroup over a Call Queue?

After comparing Ring Group settings to Call Queue settings it looks like 'Call Queues' offer all the exact same options as a Ring Group...plus more. Why wouldn't someone just use the Call Queue option all the time considering they can do everything a Ring Group can and will be more flexible in the future? Is there something a RingGroup can do that a call Queue can't?

Please note I am asking this question because I am trying to understand the difference between these two options and it feels like I am missing something. I want to fully understand each option before I implement them to ensure I make the right choice.

Thanks!

-Levi

2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi Levi Koenig,

Some key points to be aware of:

* In queues agents need to login and out, in a ring group they do not.

* Ring groups only support "Prioritized hunt" and "Ring All" call strategies. Queues have a lot more, especially if you have a PRO edition licence such strategies include:

Longest Waiting Time – Will forward a call to the agent who has been waiting the longest to take a call.

Least Talk Time – Will forward the call to the agent with the least total talk time.

Fewest Answered – Will forward the call to the agent that has answered the least number of calls.

Hunt by threes prioritized – Will forward the call to the top 3 agents (as configured in the call queue agent section simultaneously).

Hunt by threes random start – Will send call to 3 random agents simultaneously.

Round Robin – Will target only active agents, that are logged into the queue, in round robin manner, i.e. first call will be sent to agent 1, the second call to agent 2 and so on.

* Queues have advanced call center features with the PRO licence of 3CX. Features include:

Wrap up time.
    Enable call-back.
    SLA Time

* You can get notifications directly configurable from a call queue not a ring group.

* Ring groups support the "paging" feature, queues do not.

* There are more call reporting options with call queues - PRO licences especially.

For more information I would look at the links here:
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/call-queues/
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/ring-groups-paging-intercom/

#2 eddv123, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Levi Koenig likes this.
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A queue would be used where, you may wish to "spread the calls" evenly across a number of agents, or where there is a possibility that all agents are busy at times. A caller to a queue is notified as to the company/department reached, then put on hold until someone can take the call. Probably used more in a situation where there is a high/steady call volume There are also statistics available regarding calls to the queue. An agent must be available/ at the desk when a call comes in, as it only rings one person.

A ring group would be used where is doesn't matter who picks up the call, just that it is made available to everyone in a department/office. As long as one person is near a ringing phone, the call should be answered. If it isn't after a set time-out, it can be routed off to another destination.

Levi Koenig likes this.
  4. Levi Koenig

So if I read correctly, the only functionality that 'Ring Groups' have over 'Call Queues' is:
    - Agents do not need to login to receive the call
    - Utilizing the 'Paging' Feature

If I don't need either of those options then I am assuming I would just use a 'Call Queue' for everything, even if I only set it up to use the basic Ring Group settings it is more customizable in the future and I will get better reports. This is even more true when using a higher edition (as the 'Call Queues' has a lot more functionality unlocked).

Is that thinking correct?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A ring group is relatively easy to implement, and really, no training is involved...a phone rings, you answer it. A queue takes some planning, and a bit of work, ...record message, deal with hold music, train agents for login/logout, amongst other things.

trifif likes this.
  6. dan_tx

Another situation we use ring groups is so we can have additional contacts in the address book. For example you might have all employee names for each extension but want to have an easy way to reach certain job positions or locations. Let’s say Jane and Mark are the front receptionist at an office and one of 20 locations. They each have an extension with their name but you make a ring group called “location” reception” and put them both in it.
    Now other users don’t need to know that Mark and Jane are receptionist to reach a receptionist at that location, it just shows up in the address book as a contact. And they can’t log out of a queue or anything.

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Levi Koenig

As you can see each one uses Ring Groups and Queues a little bit differently depending on the needs. That is the reason both options are there, to provide flexibility to users. If you want a more simplified setup you go with ring groups, if the requirements are higher and you need music on hold, an intro prompt, the callback feature then you will need to use a Queue.
    There is also a difference in the way queues and ring groups work. As already mentioned when a call comes in a ring group it just rings the extensions until someone answers or until the call reaches the destination if no answer but when a call arrives to a queue the call is being answered by the queue manager and the queue manager polls the agents. You can find more info on the operation of Ring groups and queues in our academy

Levi Koenig likes this.
  8. netswork

netswork Active Member

A simple summarized answer is:

Call queues are best used when your call volume exceeds the amount of people you have to answer the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Levi Koenig

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have a better handle on things now. Since we will never use the 'Paging' feature I decided to go 100% into Call Queues. Since they have all the features of Ring Group (minus the page function) plus a lot of other features. Even if we don't use all the features it will allow us to experiment in the future without having to delete and create new extensions.

Thanks!

10. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad you could find the answers you were looking for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.