• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Putting calls on hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

aicos

Reaction score
I have 3 SIP trunk active and can make 3 simultaneous calls, but when all 3 lines are being used, 4th call just says subscriber is not available.
Can the 4th call be on hold or atleast go to voicemail?
We are fine with just 3 lines, but when more people call, we need them to be placed on a line or reach voicemail or something.
Please tell me if there is a way
Thanks

I think so, DID number or something, I told our provider that I need 3 lines to make 3 phone calls at once so they set it up for us.

Can you tell me which section to look at in the manual?
I've already set up the other two, it just says subscriber is not available,

if you have DID for that DID create inbound rule which connect incoming call to the queue (see the links in the post above). each incoming call will me in queue and route to the agent, you must be logged into the queue with your extension...

but if you have only 3 simultaneous calls from your provider, 4th call will not get to you...

I don't really get how this works..
So putting a person on hold takes up one line?
This means big places like call center have like hundreds of trunks?
I thought PBX handles all the hold..

Trunk doesn t mean one call.. with one trunk you can have hundreds simultaneous calls.. check the video about call queue in 3cx.

If your provider set you up with 3 "lines" - then that is it - you run out of lines when 3 calls are in progress. (not counting internal)
A call center is likely using a T1/PRI which i think carrier 24 lines at a time - or maybe its 23 and Caller ID signaling on the 24th. So, they could have several of these.

So if you only have 3 "lines" then the 4th isn't even coming into your 3cx system. It has nothign to do with call queues, going to vm, etc.

So if there is one active user in the que, that user is taking one line?
Thanks for the info, really helped.

aicos said:
So if there is one active user in the que, that user is taking one line?

Each active caller, even if they are listening to hold music, will be using one line into the PBX. the call may not be going to an extension, but 3CX is "holding" the call for you until an agent is available, thus tying up a line.

Your provider may be able to supply a busy signal to callers, once all three lines are, busy, rather than the recording that they get now. That recording could cause some confusion. and might be all well and good if none of your trunks were currently registered (VoIP provider). A busy signal insures that the caller understands that the line is simply busy ,and not some sort of error on the network.

Note also that your 3CX license limit is going to kick in here too ... If you get your SIP provider to configure more than 4 trunk channels, you will then have the problem (assuming you are working a 4Simultaneous Call [4SC] 3CX license), that 3CX will not accept more than 4 calls in progress.

Graham Hill
Foxhall Solutions

Thanks you guys for the information,
So basically, if I have 3 people on the line, and want extra 5 people to be on que, I need 8 lines from provider and 8 simultaneous call on 3cx etc.. right?

Oh and one more question.. Our provider provides a line for $25, is this around average?

aicos said:
Thanks you guys for the information,
So basically, if I have 3 people on the line, and want extra 5 people to be on que, I need 8 lines from provider and 8 simultaneous call on 3cx etc.. right?

yep, otherwise that additonal 5 calls will never get your 3cx, provider will "drop" that calls if you are paying for only 3 simultaneous calls

Totally correct regarding the 8 SIP trunk channels and 8SC license ... That would be what you need sir ...

Interesting to hear $25 per line ... Is that one-off or monthly rental??

Here in the UK I'm charged between $3 and $7 rental per month for a SIP Trunk channel ...

If you only have three cc's then you would need to add a fourth to get that call, why not simply add another call path if you know that the three you currently have arent sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norb.p
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.