Q: Using 3cx with both native SIP client and 3cx client on Android at the same time or separately

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by stangri, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stangri

So first of all, thanks to all who have answered my questions before, I've migrated my small family-used PBX from asterisk to 3cx. It's night and day difference in both Web UI and ease of troubleshooting and provisioning remote clients.

Now I have another concern. I want to use the native SIP client on Android because it's very easy to make it default way of placing calls right from the phonebook/dialer. However I suspect that using 3cx client with PUSH notifications would result in less battery drain.

So I was thinking of setting up the native sip client with "receive calls" unchecked (so it would only register with the server on the outgoing call) while also running the 3cx client on the same phone with PUSH enabled so that incoming calls would be received thru 3cx client.

Questions:
    1. Would running both native SIP client and 3cx *in the manner described above* lead to any troubles receiving calls via PUSH notifications?
    2. Would I save much battery having 3cx client receive call notifications via PUSH over having native SIP client registered all the time?
    3. Would the native SIP client (if it's registered all the time) maintain the presence status on other 3cx clients?

Thanks again!

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Answers:
    1. No
    2. Using in 3G/4G would save battery, not so much using WiFi
    3. No, presence is proprietary solution of 3CX, as well as chat, conference calls, etc.

As an alternative to Native SIP client (not present in all Android phones, can be downloaded for Samsung), I prefer using CSIPsimple application, found at Google Play.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 sip.bg, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    stangri likes this.
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Be certain that the local SIP port of each device is unique. Hope that ports used for voice packets do not conflict, and that the phone can keep track of them to avoid one way voice.

4. stangri

Yeah, it was an excellent app for a while, but last I tried (on Marshmallow) it didn't quite work and the app hasn't been updated since 2014, so I doubt it'd work on Nougat/Oreo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.