QoS and SIP and trunking

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cgallery, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgallery

Still learning a lot.

I signed up for a CallCentric account, too see how it would work.

I am using a router w/ DD-WRT firmware, and I have QoS working pretty well. But I'm only making one call at a time.

The question I have is in regards to SIP. I'm I'm using a phone to make multiple simultaneous calls, are they all using 5060?

What if I'm using multiple phones, are they all talking on 5060?

My confusion stems from the fact that multiple people can browse or do ftp without altering the default ports. But I don't think this is true (necessarily) or SIP.

CallCentric said that for users making multiple calls, they have to open ports beyond 5060. I've attached their comment (below). But 3CX is only talking input (from the WAN) on 5060, no? Or is this a case where some sort of signal comes in on 5060, and the two sides agree to use 5061 or 5062?

How the heck does this work???

http://www.callcentric.com/faq.php?s_go=1&search=5060&go=Search#226

What ports do I need to use in my UA or firewall?

When configuring your user agent (UA) or firewall to work with Callcentric there are certain ports which need to be enabled to avoid quality and/or stability issues. Generally these ports are configured by default; however for users requiring the specific port numbers and protocols please use the information below:

NOTE: You can customize these ports however users who change the ports are generally doing this in advanced environments and will have access to the technical information required.

SIP Ports

Port = 5060
    *Port range = 5060 - 5080
    Protocol = UDP or UDP/TCP
    Direction = Incoming and Outgoing

RTP Ports

The RTP port may vary by UA. If configuring a firewall you will want to configure a range which includes the default RTP port in your UA. A port range of 10 ports may work for most users.

If you will be placing multiple simultaneous calls then a larger range would be required. Users in this scenario will generally know their range requirements and should be able to implement this accordingly.

Port = Depends on UA
    *Port range = Generally a range of 10 ports should suffice
    Protocol = UDP or UDP/TCP
    Direction = Incoming and Outgoing

*This is for users who may require a port range for their firewall or router

2. MathewMoore

the PBX listens for SIP messages on ports 5060 (UDP & TCP). These SIP messages are used to define and open individual ports to handle the audio streams. By default, the audio streams are handled in 3cx by ports 9000-9049 (UDP only). That's why you need to port forward these ports :) (Also 5090 for the tunnel). First simultaneous call would be 9000, second would be 9001 etc....

P.S I run DD-WRT without issues. Great firmware!
    I also use Callcentric to provide the sip trunking with 8 channels (simultaneous calls), also without issue. Been rock solid.

Hope that helps

Mat

3. cgallery

Thank you for your help, Mathew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.