Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

QoS Handling

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Brad Allison, Dec 20, 2017.

QoS Handling 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

1. Brad Allison

Either through 3CX software or OS policies tag the VoIP traffic for QoS.
    DSCP 46 for RTP
    DSCP 24 for SIP

2. simply7

I know if you use SNOM phones you can add this config per VLAN QoS settings in the template. What you are talking about is layer 7 based QoS and would depend on the phone to apply this. Personally I do not know of any system that does QoS at layer 7, and just do it at the VLAN level and utilize tagging/trunking for those ports.

3. Brad Allison

3CX should be setting QoS on phones as part of its templates by default.
    That is not what I'm referring to.
    I'm referring to the OS 3CX is installed on, based off of this
    https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/qos-windows/

What I'm asking is that instead of manually doing this to have the 3CX installer create the policies.
    I'm also saying that services should be broken out and the entire OS should not be 56!
    DSCP 46 for RTP
    DSCP 24 for SIP

"Layer 7 QoS" ? - I don't recall that being part of the OSI model.

4. simply7

Do you think it that big of a deal since other applications running on the 3CX instance are not supported? I suppose it could be a big deal if you are having the PBX deliver audio, but other than that option, the only thing going on is call setup and tear down.

Layer 7 I was referring to specific prioritization of a specific application.

I have found it is easier to just use the Debian install rather than windows.

5. Brad Allison

Thank you for your comments.

6. Silly English Kniggit

Agree - 3CX should set QoS across the board, even if some installs the LAN may not support / use QoS. It should also be configured correctly - not just tag all traffic from the server as same DSCP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...