QoS on small networks

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cfive, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfive

cfive Member

Hi,

How much attention are folks giving to network infrastructure in small environments - 6 to 12 call range?

Typically, the handset switch would be used, with a PC connected. Network connections are generally 100 Mbps, existing switches are generally unmanged but managed switches are not out of the question.

Network wiring quality is often unknown, but generally there aren't issues that affect data transmission.

Would an investment in managed switches, Vlans, and CoS/QoS going to generally be readily noticeable in environments of this size?

Thanks - Les.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

For 95% of installs, I am not going to worry about local network QoS until there are 50+ extensions. The other 5% is when there are special situations where companies are often moving huge files, doing network-distributed computing or other applications that generate large amounts of network traffic. So long as you are using decent switches and not hubs, you generally wont have a local network issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

6-12 calls are 2-4 Mbps of traffic (in+out on PBX host) in the worst possible case.

4. comresource

comresource Member

I am probably a bit more anal than most, but I do configure QOS on every install if is an option. Just about every phone you buy today is already tagging the SIP and RTP packets and any POE switch is usually managable and has some QOS queuing already built in. Just tell the switch to queue the tagged packets into the priority queue. We also use Server Foundation 2008(now R2) as our recommended 3CX Platform which allows you to create QOS Policies for SIP and RTP so those packets are tagged as well.

But as Kerry said this is generally not neccesary, but it makes me feel better. :mrgreen:

5. cfive

cfive Member

Thanks so much for the replies.

For those of us new to this, it's invaluable.

- Les.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.