• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

QOS recommendations and best practices for CLOUD (deb 8) install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Files

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had a few quality issues over our network here... We have about 30 phones, all of which are soft phones (latest stable 3cx version on server and end user clients) and we have issues with echo and quality and occasional droped calls. All of this seems to be related to QOS issues, is there a comprehensive list of items I should setup on our router? Or basic port rules for cloud installs using soft phones?

Thanks in advanced gents
Adam

Hello @Adam Files,

What cloud service are you using for you PBX installation?

Adam,
What is your bandwidth at you location?
Are all phones in one location?
Which SBC are you using?

I use OVH and have great success. I am on a broadband 2x20 at my location and have a lot of clients on Spectrum 10x100 with no issues.

Chuck

Most of our clients have great success with OVH, only a few with some quality issues arrise, which I think has little to no relation to it being on OVH. In this case there are about 35 phones +/-.
All phones are in one location. Soft phones seem to be the ones with the biggest issue
We are not using a SBC.
There is a 100X10 there

Thanks gents!

this is not necessarily an issue, it is more of a request for future use. Is there a list of recommended QOS rules that someone has had good luck with if quality issues arise? The only specifics really are that they are on a cloud ovh and are using the soft phone app heavily

Adam, unless you have a saturated network, QOS is not likely to have much impact. Are the softphones running on Wifi by any chance? If so, it's more likely that is your issue. A WiFi AP usually has only one radio, so it can only talk to one connection at a time - i.e. it polls. These days, an AP can get loaded up with phones, pads, and computers to the extent that the polling time can have a noticeable impact on the RTP traffic - i.e. voice quality. If you must use WiFi, add dedicated AP's for the Softphone client computers and keep the number of connections down. Also, don't use WiFi relays.

That is an excellent post for those who would be using WiFi, being that it is half duplex and all. In this case it is all cabled connections. Could it be that the computers are just too slow and causing choppy issues?

Thanks

If you have wired phone conversations that are acceptable quality while at the same time a softphone client is having issues - then yes - there are no end of ways that the local computer can interfere with the quality of the call. Take a look at what's happening on the local system using TaskMgr.

Reactions: Adam Files
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.