• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Question about capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

rreid

Reaction score
We are looking into replacing our existing 3com NBX system. We have two offices connection via an MPLS. Each office has a 3com NBX server. Main office has a PRI with DID. Remote office has POTS lines. The 3com servers are connected via 3 virtual tie lines for extension and call routing between offices. I am evaluating 3cx as a possible replacement.

What capability/feature of 3cx would i use to duplicate the virtual tie line connectivity? Also, would we be able to allow incoming calls for either office to be routed to an attendent in one or the other office (like for lunch coverage)?

In this case if your going to keep the PRI and POTS, as opposed to going with SIP trunks (I'd go with SIP to avoid extra hardware ie Voip gateways) you bridge the two systems via 3cx bridge, make one the master the other the slave.theyd act as one system route calls to whatever extension from either location over your mpls. If using SIP trunks one license, one box and use 3cx tunnel for remote extensions going over your mpls.

We are likewise considering replacing our 3Com V3000 NBX PABX with 3cx. We have 2 sites linked with virtual tie lines and 120 handsets.

HP bought out 3com and are leaving the VOIP space completely (VCX dropped Jul 2012) which was our plan up till now. So 3cx looks like a great way to go (server based). If we go this way we would still like to keep our changeover costs under control and keep existing 3Com handsets and just replace them with other new handsets as they die over time.

Is there possibly going to be support for the 3com family of handsets (tftp download of handset OS every time phone powers up) in 3cx in the future? Fairly large installed base with nowhere else to go.

If we cannot keep our existing handsets then the price of changing 130 handsets might mean we will just buy 2 second hand v3000 for about $2000 ea as spares and get another 5 years on existing IP telephony platform before we do a complete change of system and handsets.

James_Wespine said:
HP bought out 3com and are leaving the VOIP space completely (VCX dropped Jul 2012) which was our plan up till now.
James_Wespine said:
Is there possibly going to be support for the 3com family of handsets (tftp download of handset OS every time phone powers up) in 3cx in the future?

If there hasn't been 3CX support, up to this point, for these handsets, and they are going to be discontinued (is that what it sounds like?), then I would not hold my breath.

If the sets are SIP compatible, there is a chance that someone could make them work with 3CX, given time and patience, if it hasn't already been done.

What you have to look at is beyond simply replacing the old PBX with another identical machine, and that cost. What happens when this breaks again, and you can't get a replacement, or because of scarcity, the cost has increased? What about replacement or additional handsets, will they still be available? What about maintenance costs, when you are left with a "legacy" PBX.

You also have to consider any additional features that you would gain from moving to 3CX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.