question about gateways

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by netswork, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netswork

netswork Active Member

If you have a patton gateway terminating a PRI...when a call comes in and 3cx sets up the call. Once the phone has the call does 3cx step out of they way or is there constant traffic between the phone, gateway and 3cx server?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My understanding is... (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), sets can be set up to send voice packets direct to each other once a call is established, but, gateways can't.

3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Well ...
    this is really a question of setup -- it could be so about gateways that voice traffic (RTP media) passes through the PBX always. It depends definitely on extension's settings like 'PBX delivers audio', like the same settings for the provider / gateway (which is 'ON' by default). In most cases passing the voice traffic through the PBX may be desirable, otherwise issues like one way audio may appear.

The easiest thing may be is playing with this parameter, both for gateway and extensions, incoming and outgoing calls, transfers, forwards, etc., and to see whether the result is satisfactory while analyzing the traffic with wireshark

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi,

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/media-server/
    This article describes how PBX delivers audio. It describes settings which are influencing mode of audio delivery.

5. netswork

netswork Active Member

Thanks for that link. I have a situation where we will have one centralized 3cx servers but branches that need their own access to dial tone either via analog lines or digital trunks. It likes like it that situation that the proxy pass-thru mode would be used.

I just wanted to make sure it wasnt like Voip where the pbx delivers the audio the entire time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.