Question about ring groups

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cgallery, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgallery

For my experimenting system I would like to see if I can get all (well, I only have two at the moment) phones to ring when any one of the four incoming lines (via GXW-4104) rings.

So I setup a ring group.

And it works.

But the caller ID works kinda funny.

It says the call is coming from "Ring Group Test" and it shows the phone # I am calling in on. I'd rather it not inform me it is says it is coming from the ring group, but rather the name of the caller.

Is there a way to do this?

2. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

I am using the same gateway right now. I find that caller id is 50% or more of the time gibberish. I don't know if its a telco issue or the grandstream (never used cid before this). So basically it's pretty much useless because you last call received or call missed can't be redialed because the number is corrupted. I have a sangoma card on the way. We'll find out soon enough if its telco or grandstream that's responsible for bad caller id data.

For instance on my phone it is supposed to read
    callgroup name: calleridname
    phonenumber

but it displays like
    mycallgroup:per@s$nsame#
    8312MM����

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can compare the caller ID sent using a standard CID device bridged across one of the phone lines, with the 3CX log showing what it is receiving from the Gateway.

4. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

I don't have any pots devices with cid :/
    But I took a pic with my cell phone of the cid screen of my cisco phone which I have attached
    As you can see, the ring group displays fine, but there is no name and the phone number is garbled.

Attached Files:

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are those the same characters showing in the 3Cx log when the call is passed from the gateway? Are you sure that the CID options are correct for your area in the gateway? Is this North America (Bellcore type) caller ID? I would make an effort to borrow a CID unit. If there is a thrift store nearby, you can usually pick one up a dollar, give or take. They do come in handy for testing.

6. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

In 3cx the characters show up as little squares.
    copy/paste from 3cx assistant: 8�&���S��

The only roman characters are 8 & S

I'll see if I can pickup a cid unit this week. It will be handy to see if that works or not. I have a feeling its the gateway though, it wasn't easy to setup.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You could also use Wireshark to see exactly what is being passed to 3CX. If it is gibberish, and you confirm that the incoming CID number from the telco looks good, then you need to start checking the CID settings on the gateway. These are generally made to be used in many counties with various methods of doing caller ID. It has to be set-up to handle it in your region.

8. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

I thought I posted this yesterday but I probably accidentally closed the tab before I finished.
    I got my sangoma card the other day and insalled it + netborder gateway. At this point its clear the caller id problem is with the grand stream.

I placed a call from my cell to each DID and you can see from the call logs the grandstream messes up the CID while the sangoma does not. Note I masked the first 4 of my number but it was in the log correctly.

9. cgallery

I've got a Grandstream 4104 and it is loaded w/ the latest firmware. It seems to have difficulty w/ CID. About 90% of CID #'s come through fine. The other 10% are hosed.

It was worse before I loaded the latest firmware.

I have read many accounts of CID problems on the GS 410X units. I guess I will tinker with some of the settings, maybe call them, but I suspect I may have to find a gateway that works better.

10. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

Cgallery, what revision is your unit?

Mine is
    Hardware Revision: Main-- 1.1 Rev A Part Number-- 966-00003-11A
    Product Model: GXW4104
    Software Version: Program-- 1.3.1.6 Loader-- 1.1.3.4 Boot-- 1.1.3.2

11. cgallery

Hardware Revision: Main-- 1.0 Rev A Part Number-- N/A
    Product Model: GXW4104
    Software Version: Program-- 1.3.4.9 Loader-- 1.1.3.4 Boot-- 1.1.3.2

Mine doesn't have a part # either on the status screen or anywhere else on the unit, for that matter.

But it is older than yours (1.0 vs. your 1.1).

I'd suggest upgrading your firmware, but it seems like you already solved your problem w/ the Sangoma card?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.