Question/Suggestion for emergency calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MarkB, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MarkB

Hello

Everybody knows that emergency calls with 3 digit short numbers can be difficult with VoIP.

But normally every Police station or Fire Brigade has normal full phone number (f.ex 10 digit)

The suggestion is that the PBX is supporting a gateway from a 3 digit emergency number (f.ex. 110) to a long phone number to the local Police.

I have already tried to add a outbound rule. It works perfect but not with 3 digits number. I think because my extensions have 3 digits. It works with 4 or more digits.

Regards, Frank

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I you think it is to do with the lenght of your extensions you can change the lenght of your extensions in 3cX but you have to do this at time of setup.

If you reinstall 3cx and set the extension size to 4 it might just work for you. I assume that the requirement is to dial not more than 3 digits from you handset.

3. NigelG

Hi,

Why not try doubling the emergency code eg 999 999 or 911 911 then remap as required in outbound rule

NigelG

4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi Mark,

What about setting up an Extension that directs to an emergency number using the forward all calls to external number. Then users can dial that extension for emergency calls....

5. MarkB

I tought about this. But then you need 4 digit internal numbers. That's not very nice if you have only 5-10 Phone stations.

Unfortunaley it's not possible to use 2 digit numbers for extensions. This would solve my problem.

6. MarkB

I do something like this now. I just add an ending 0 to the emergency number. (3 to 4 digits.)

But that's not exactly what I want. I think about children or visitors who don't know that I have special emergency numbers (or can't read if I write it on the phone).

Normally you need an emergency call once in 10 years. But if you need it it should work in common way.

I think this should be supported by the PBX (just a suggestion. :wink: )

7. MarkB

Cool.

That's working perfect. You set an extension with the 3 digit emergency number. You don't need to register this extension. You can forward the unregistered extension to any number.

Perfect.

Thanks a lot (also to the others who answered).