• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Quick Distinguishing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory P

Forum User
Reaction score
Hello,

So in our 3CX management console, under Extensions we have a list of all of the users and which extension that have assigned, and so on and so forth.

But I have always been curious as to the meaning between the red extensions and the black extensions, such as 3511 shown below, and if it serves a purpose, what causes it, if they should or shouldn't be one.

I tried to do a bit of searching, but I wouldn't even know where to begin on the chracteristics for what it may be called so I figured reaching out may be the best option.

2971cba8fc4dba15e364cb3830ef9427.png

Thank you,

Just a guess, since you don't show any other columns, but on our system, at least - black are soft phones, and red are actual physical phones.

Sorry, I figured it might have been a universal thing. Since I'm certain it doesn't distinguish between hard or soft phone, here is a screenshot of our extension page (blacking out basically personal info).

Maybe this helps a bit more. Or let me know if more information may need to be provided.

Thanks,

42a145af669ff80c73ee06bbf7824c88.png

Do you have a column for firmware version?

Not in the 'Extension' tab. In the 'Phone' tab it does show firmware version and the User ID corresponds with their extension.

But for example, with Extensions 3510 and 3511, one is red, one is black, but they are on the same firmware of 7.5.2b

d28ac8e78e285dc980fdb2a6a59afeac.png

could be because they have weak registration passwords.

I think that it is because "something" is considered insecure, and should be changed. If you look through the settings for a particular extension, the item of concern should also be red.

Hello @Cory P
extensions become red for 3 reason, one is un-supported firmware the other is custom templates and the third is security.
Are these manually configured extensions or did you use the provisioning link of the PBX?
Is this a fresh install of V15 or did you come from an upgrade from previous version?

The extensions are manually configured.
And it was a fresh install of Version 14, and is still Version 14.

It seems to be caused by the SIP ID. When I have the SIP ID set to the same as my extension, then the user is red. When the SIP ID is removed, it reverts back to black. Every user who does not have a SIP ID does not appear to be red.

Can I have some clarification what the SIP ID actually is?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Hi Cory,

The SIP Id can be used as a shortcut.. Meaning that if you give extension 1218 the SIP id of "2", then you'll be able to dial 2 and ext 1218 will ring :)

Reactions: Cory P
So currently, say extension 3566 is assigned SIP ID 3566. If I remove this, it breaks the connection to the handset and disconnects it from the system. I'm still doing some tinkering, but haven't been successful in making the extensions turning from red to black while attempting to remove the SIP ID and keeping the phone from disconnecting.

Any tips/suggestions would help, but I will keep progressing myself.

Thanks!

Ohh.. Are you talking about the SIP ID under "Options" in extension settings or the ID under the Registration settings?

the SIP ID is the one, used in "options" and was the one i was talking about..

Are thoose 2 the same in your settings? or do you use a week password?

Yeah. I've been referring to it within Extensions. In regards to 'Registration settings' I'm not 100% sure what you mean for as to what they match too. Below, when I open my extension, I see this red box and that is why I presume it to be the SIP ID and not a weak password. I even tested updating the passwords to a farfetched length of characters and that did not change the red/black issue.

upload_2017-7-6_10-55-4.png

Hi Cory,

If you remove the SIP id, you just attached with a red box around.. Would it then stop working?

So, it is working to remove it now. I had to force reboot the phone for changes to be made and allow for it to reprovision I suppose.

Either way, removing the SIP ID, and rebooting the phone seems to solve the problem with the phones being red vs black. Why it is causing them to turn 'red' I'm not sure.

But either way it appears to be working now. Thank you for the insight and help

In many cases, depending on your provider, if you use a SIP ID, it will be sent as your caller ID to external destinations overriding any other settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.