Solved Raspberry Pi-3-B SBC Config Changes

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kraichle, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kraichle

I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi 3 B as an SBC, but not much of an expert with Linux yet.

I was able to get everything setup per these instructions http://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-raspberry-pi/, but I made a mistake on in the IP address, so wanted to change it.

I'm not able to modify the 3cxsbc.conf file and to top that I can't seem to kill the 3cxsbc process even with elevated kill commands assuming the app is locking the config file.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm SSH'ing in to the CLI as a pi user and trying to manage it that way.

Is there more detail somewhere about using 3CXs SBC app on a Raspberry Pi? I'm also not sure if I've got the latest version, since it looks like there's some disconnect on the 3CX website's instructions for the Raspberry Pi.

2. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

First, precede everything you do with "sudo" this will run the command under "root" permissions.

Next, the config file is not locked by anything. You can edit it as follows: nano /etc/3cxsbc.conf.
    CTL-X will save and exit. Make sure to fill in the two lines that are commented out with local IP and port. They turn out to be necessary in most cases.

Once you are done with the changes, enter:
    sudo service 3cxsbc restart and you'll be good to go.

You can be sure you are up to date with these commands:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

If/when it asks if you want to update any CONF files, say no. If you do it by mistake, you will need to find the old one that was renamed and copy it back over to 3cxsbc.conf.

To see if its working, enter
    sudo netstat and look for connections on the SBC tunnel port (e.g. 5090). If they are there - you're golden.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kraichle

I got everything up and running thanks to your help.

Couple things to note, initially I had a problem with internet speeds being dirt slow. I have DD-WRT installed on my router and had QoS set to limit any device to 30Mbps/2.5Mbps Dn/Up. Those setting should have been plenty of speed, but for some reason DD-WRT wasn't liking the raspberry pi, and severely limited the bandwidth. I also had one way audio for some reason too when I did establish a like to the PBX. I disabled QoS and downloading screams now and audio works good too. Now that I got it all work correctly maybe I'll try QoS again and see if maybe it was something else.

I also stumbled around a bit trying to assign a static IP to the RPi box as there seems to be several ways to do it, but the method on this link seemed to finally get it to work correctly, https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-give-your-raspberry-pi-a-static-ip-address-update.

I also disabled IPv6, shutdown the Wifi radios (wlan0, wlan1) with this command "sudo ifconfig wlan0 down", and changed the keyboard to US to get the # char back.

If anyone's interested I purchased this kit,
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6EQNNK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this memory,
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57T02/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now all I need to do is get second one for a backup and make a copy of the SD card. I didn't want to have hardware in the office for reliability reason, but seems like these stupid Cisco 7960 phones will continue to be difficult.

Thanks for your support!

4. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

Looks like you've got it under control. On a small network QOS is unlikely to provide benefits. The idea is attractive, but it needs a larger environment to have any impact. The downside is that it can introduce unwanted side effects, as you noticed. The next thing you can do to improve service is to "repair" the 7960's by putting them in the microwave and pressing the popcorn button.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kraichle

ha ha, yes popcorn. Thanks though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.