Solved Raspberry Pi 3 SBC wont work after reboot

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by OCWI, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCWI

OCWI New Member

Hello,

I am trying to put raspberry pi 3's in the field as SBC's / border session controllers and things work when install the sbc right away, but then after rebooting it stops working!!!!

I know little to nothing about linux, which im sure doesnt help...

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @OCWI

This could be because after a restart the SBC service does not start as the network is not ready. Try setting the network boot at delayed start and see if that solves your issue.
    To do so log into the terminal and type
    sudo raspi-config

select: Wait for network at boot and then: Slow wait for network connection before completing boot

click ok and finish and restart the Raspberry Pi
    sudo shutdown -r now

OCWI likes this.
  3. Peter Richardson

Peter Richardson New Member

Hey @YiannisH_3CX

Thanks very much for this tip, I've just had the same problem and this solved it! So easy!

4. OCWI

OCWI New Member

THIS WORKED!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

5. Peter Richardson

Wait wait wait a minute! Okay, so we've had some great success to get this to work...initially. However, if you were to unplug the network cable, reboot the switch, reboot the router, or make any other network change, then it just doesn't work. The phones become unreachable and then are unable to connect to the SBC again. I believe that it's got something to do with the SBC not restarting the 3CX service again, because the only way to fix it is to reboot the SBC. But I can't have this as a normal part of troubleshooting as I have located the router, switches, SBC in a network cabinet that is very difficult to get into as it has about 15 devices in it, so instructing the customer to "just unplug and replug the Raspberry Pi" would require them to know what they were doing, and this customer has a hard time using the phone, let alone identifying network equipment. Please help!

myuniquename likes this.
  6. Peter Richardson

7. computatech

Thanks that has worked for me too! ;)

8. Peter Richardson

Can someone please help? This customer had a power outage yesterday and I am guessing that the router or switch took longer to boot than the raspberry pi, and thus I had to go through a lengthy process over the phone of talking the customer through identifying, unplugging then replugging the raspberry pi. Not good.

Please help!

9. OCWI

OCWI New Member

I think the best course of action here is to have 3cx further refine the BSC software.

In the meantime we started putting the rasp pi's on dataplicity so we can access the terminal and more importantly do a remote reboot.

There are a few solutions along these lines, looked at VNC and another remote control item before settling on dataplicity. I like dataplicity because myself and all my techs can control the pi's easily from our cell phones and see when they are up/down.

They however arent very cheap, at $2/mo/pi. Not impressed with that but not many options out there.

On this note, is there any intention from 3cx to further refine the BSC software? I love how often the PBX software is updated and the new features always being introduced, but in the time we have resold them (about a year now) we never really saw any sort of real updates for the BSC software linux or otherwise.

10. Peter Richardson

Hey @OCWI

This is genius! I'll check that out.

Agreed, 3CX needs to look into this fundamental flaw. Anyone else had this problem?

11. OCWI

OCWI New Member

Actually on second thought that statement wasn't totally fair to 3cx. We have seen some rather significant SBC improvement over the last year particularly with regard to the raspberry pi. I hope it continues in that direction and maybe even a little more focus on it!

It would be really nice to have some sort of tunnel uptime monitoring, or even a tunnel up/down status in the PBX!

12. Peter Richardson

how do we remove the "solved" from this thread?

13. OCWI

OCWI New Member

I think an admin has to do that...

14. Peter Richardson

bump! Someone please help!

15. Peter Richardson

16. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you want something implemented regarding the SBC functionality or software then you should create a feature request in the ideas section of the forum where users can upvote these ideas and then the appropriate departments can review them.

17. Peter Richardson

@YiannisH_3CX

Wait wait wait a minute! Okay, so we've had some great success to get this to work...initially. However, if you were to unplug the network cable, reboot the switch, reboot the router, or make any other network change, then it just doesn't work. The phones become unreachable and then are unable to connect to the SBC again. I believe that it's got something to do with the SBC not restarting the 3CX service again, because the only way to fix it is to reboot the SBC. But I can't have this as a normal part of troubleshooting as I have located the router, switches, SBC in a network cabinet that is very difficult to get into as it has about 15 devices in it, so instructing the customer to "just unplug and replug the Raspberry Pi" would require them to know what they were doing, and this customer has a hard time using the phone, let aloneidentifying network equipment. Please help!

Can someone please help? This customer had a power outage yesterday and I am guessing that the router or switch took longer to boot than the raspberry pi, and thus I had to go through a lengthy process over the phone of talking the customer through identifying, unplugging then replugging the raspberry pi. Not good.

Please help!

18. OCWI

OCWI New Member

reterex likes this.
  19. reterex

Peter Richardson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.