• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Raspberry Pi SBC instillation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael1600

Reaction score
I have installed the SBC on a Raspberry Pi 3 and input my PBX specific information and done the latest update. I have tried to find documentation on how to connect the devise to my local network and install it. I have reviewed the video:
3CX Intermediate Training: 7. Configuring Remote IP Phone Extensions (SBC)
but it appears to be specific to the Windows version of the SBC.

What am I missing. Do I just need to plug it into my switch?

Hi Michael,

Connecting the Raspberry has nothing to do with 3cx.. According to your Network setup, you should be able to just plug a cable in your PI.. and get a DCHP Ip.. Then you can point your phones, to your SBC instead of the FQDN of your PBX.

I would consider using a static IP for your SBC, either by DHCP or by the raspberry's own IP settings.

Thanks, that makes things clearer.

Glad i could help :)

Also, with or without a static IP on the Pi (although I definitely recommend with) as long as it is plugged into the network and the SBC service is running all the recommended phones should show up in the console as the SBC will forward the PnP annoucement to the PBX.

Ok, here is some follow up. I plugged the Raspberry Pi 3 into the switch. It showed up on the router with an IP address.
Tried to use it to provision several phone. But this failed.
Had to use STUN remote which worked OK.
So my question-Did I miss a step? Does the Rasp Pi automatically load the SBC? How do I confirm that the SBC has loaded and is working?
Any tips and setting up the static IP on the Rasp PI?

And one last question-what is meant by the "recommended phones" Are those the list of approved IP Phones on the 3CX web site or phones I would have/should have set up on the extensions in the 3CX console?

Hello @Michael1600

Have a look at the guide below:

https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

As soon as the SBC on the Pi is up and running it will start to send requests to the PBX with the active phones found in your LAN.

You will see the phones in Management Console -> Phones and then you can select a phone and provision it.

Phones that are not supported will not show via SBC

See the below screen shot:

upload_2017-7-7_11-29-17.png

Thank you for this information. I am still unclear as to how to know if my SBC is in fact up and running. Is there a location in the PBX that indicates that the SBC is present? I have a list of phones, but no indication that the SBC is working.

With respect to the SBC program on the Raspberry Pi, must it be activated once it is installed? If I if I get into the Raspberry Pi GUI, I do not see any reference to the SBC unless I do a search. Is there a way to open the SBC on the Rasp PI and check my configuration setting to make sure they are correct?

Thank you for this information. I am still unclear as to how to know if my SBC is in fact up and running. Is there a location in the PBX that indicates that the SBC is present? I have a list of phones, but no indication that the SBC is working.

There is no way of knowing if it is up and running. This is an "idea" started a few years ago that lost steam but recently came to light again after what happened a few weeks ago with the security cert expiring.

Please do us a favor and upvote this "idea" , it needs attention.

Navigate here and click on the stars to give it a "vote" , also add +1 in the comments.
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/3cx-sbc-status-in-admin-gui-in-progress.42985/

Thanks, commented on the link. Do you have any comments on how to check my settings on the Rasp Pi? Does the SBC run all the time in the background on the Rasp Pi once it is installed?

Thanks

With respect to the SBC program on the Raspberry Pi, must it be activated once it is installed? If I if I get into the Raspberry Pi GUI, I do not see any reference to the SBC unless I do a search. Is there a way to open the SBC on the Rasp PI and check my configuration setting to make sure they are correct?

No it does not be activated. It also doesn't show up any where in the Pi's GUI (annoying , but it does work far better than the windows SBC so we deal with it).

Yes, you can open the config as follows:

at the terminal, type nano /etc/3cxsbc.conf hit enter, this will allow you to view and edit the config.

Thanks, commented on the link. Do you have any comments on how to check my settings on the Rasp Pi? Does the SBC run all the time in the background on the Rasp Pi once it is installed?

Thanks

My pleasure, i appreciate the up-vote on the "idea" , i really wish someone from 3cx would look at that thread.

Yes, it runs in the background on the pi once its installed. Its VERY reliable when compared to windows SBC. However, in order for it to survive a reboot you must tell it to wait for a network at boot.

1. type sudo raspi-config

2. Navigate to / select: Wait for network at boot and then: Slow wait for network connection before completing boot

Reactions: Michael1600
Many thanks. This is what I needed.

No problem. We totally rely on the Raspberry Pi's as BSC's for all, of our deployments. This is after going through a very hard time finding out the windows SBC's services crashes randomly on all OS's. Anything i can do to help any other company avoid that is rewarding for me!

In order to check if the SBC is up and running try the following from the terminal:

sudo service 3cxsbc status

That is a great way to find out if the service itself is running!

Zacharias, is there any way to see the status of the actual tunnel?

There are many ways to know the status of the SBC. One way is to check to see if the tunnel is up using this command:

netstat | grep 5090

replace 5090 with the port your tunnel uses. If 5090 is connected - odds are you're good.

Long term, you can play with watching the SBC log. Be aware that the SBC log can get large and will cause problems - so don't set and forget. We create a midnight cron job as a safety that truncates the SBC log file:

truncate -s 0 /var/log/3cxsbc.log

We use a script to monitor the SBC's that watches the SBC log contents and restarts the SBC when the tunnel shows disconnected and the circuit itself is up. A copy of the script is here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.