Re: can't remote access voice messages

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by carolinainnovative, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinainnovative

The extension user manual is clearly listed on the download page:
    http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/download-links/

The link is: http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/ (updated link)

The default voicemail prompt answers your question - the two options you have are: leave message or press star to transfer to the operator. other keys seem to have the same effect as star. The "burst of white noise" is likely a split second of your hold music playing - mine varied in length from 1/10 sec to 1 full sec (enough to identify it). In short, once you are in voice mail, you're stuck there - or you can go to the operator.

Once you login to a voicemail ext, you should have remote outbound - if you've enabled it.

You've already answered the question - use AA. During business hours, if you want your main line "live answered" then set it to go to AA if no answer. After hours, send it to AA directly.

The vm menu is not currently editable. (ok technically that probably isn't 100% true - you could go hacking into the ivr files if you REALLY REALLY wanted to get yourself into trouble - but lets say for this discussion that it isn't doable, k?)

Use Audacity - it is free. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ works great on 7. I don't know if the v9 manual has it fixed or not.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A number of people, including myself have requested this in the past. Many small (SOHO) set-ups don't want to have to make use of the digital receptionist at all or dedicate a number specificity for accessing VM though the DA. The most common method is to cut through your outgoing message (#,* or another digit), enter PIN and retrieve messages. Plain and simple.

3. carolinainnovative

Thats just the way 3cx is - you can either be a caller to the voicemail or get to extension 999 and login. Not both. Not ideal, but thats what we got!

Well, pray to the 3cx gods and perhaps they will show you mercy...

Actually no - you can use a nice little workaround.

Create an AA. For purposes of this example, it will be extension 800.

Create an operator extension. For purposes of this example, it will be 100.

Set ext 100 to have no voicemail and set the forwarding rules to forward to extension 800 if unregistered, busy, etc.

In system settings under "General" - set your operator extension to ext 100.

Magically, now you can have calls go directly to an extension's vm, press * to break out to the operator, and configure yourself a nice shortcut to 999 - say, press 1 for voicemail access.

So - are you still using the AA? Yes - but it isn't "all the time" as you put it.

My name isn't Kerry... (sorry Kerry - couldn't resist)

4. carolinainnovative

It is crude - but it works.

Post a request on http://ideas.3cx.com - or if someone has already posted it, comment or otherwise indicate your approval for it (haven't looked at the site yet - so I don't know what kind of "voting" features it has). Perhaps the gods will smile upon you.

5. carolinainnovative

Yeah - great ideas, all. Now post 'em in the right spot.

It does - and from what I can tell, the framework is there in the way they have the IVR system setup (Because aa and vm is handled by the IVR system). So maybe with some work and some pestering, we'll get this.

6. carolinainnovative

probably a little of both...

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I too tried a modified version of Salters suggestion. Set it up like this ...created an AA group (number 299), Prompt space left blank to speed things up. All digits go to "end call". At the bottom I set timeout to 1 second and to connect to extension 999 (VM). This AA is reached with call forwarding from the operator extension (which isn't registered).

Calling in from an outside line, I find that, yes, when pressing * during my outgoing messages I now get..."please hold while I transfer your call", beep, beep, beep..."you have no messages". It however isn't asking for an extension or PIN number. Trying to dial an outbound calls says forbidden, which is a good thing.
    If I dial the operator extension number from an extension that has a VM message, it tells me that there is a message present. So, for some reason an outside call doesn't trigger it to ask "what extension you you want messages for" or a request to that effect.

8. carolinainnovative

ok you tried it a little differently than I.

I did not have an AA w/ no prompt - I actually put a prompt on it (albeit a bogus one - didn't say "press 1 for vm access or anything - was just a random wav so SOMETHING played) and I pressed 999 once I got there... Try putting SOME prompt in there - even if it is just Empty.mp3.

I also tested it with a 1-second time out and forwarding to 999 on timeout - and that worked for me as well - prompted me for an extension like it should.

Any way you can test it on a fresh install?

9. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Keep in mind that 3CX is not nearly as mature as competing systems and they are improving it as quickly as they can. For a number of things we need to use workarounds like dummy extensions and IVR tricks but every system I have ever worked on has had something that you needed to do a little wonky to get a "feature" you wanted so it doesn't bother me at this point as I do see a lot of user feedback being integrated into each build.

Recently, 3CX implemented http://ideas.3cx.com where we can have a sanctioned place for feature requests that people can vote on and comment on, this will help them to prioritize new features based on the user feedback.

I personally encourage discussion because it helps to understand what other people need and to come up with innovative solutions in case I am faced with the same issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Originally, I did have the "beep" message in there, no difference. I was just trying to speed things up leaving the message out. On my setup the VM system behaves as if it is always "aware" of the extension you are calling in from, even if the call originates from a gateway. Strange.

Not until I delete Version 7.1 on a backup machine. I'm still holding on to that until I'm sure I'm happy with V9.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well I had some time to try to find the reason i wasn't getting the request for the extension number when using the "work around"
    A long while back i had disabled the PIN requirement for access to voicemail as i found it just caused an unnecessary delay when accessing my messages. If i enable that feature (it's a system wide option, all or nothing) I can get my messages remotely via the AA, get the request for extension number and then request for PIN.
    I'm not happy having to punch in my PIN number when accessing messages at home...so... i put in a feature request to make the PIN request a per extension option and not a system wide option.

http://3cx.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Voicemail-PIN-requirement-on-per-Ext.-basis/74874-9854

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.