Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

re: limit number incoming calls to a ring group

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by win2, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. win2

Dear people,

I've got a customer who wants his incoming calls directed to a ring group, but since most desks are quite often unoccupied, he only wants one simultaneous incoming connection. A second incoming call should get a busy signal. They do want multiple simultaneous outgoing calls.

Is this possible, and how?

thanks!

Bruno.

2. tom_ch

Hi

how about using a call queue?
    Those people who are not in the office are logged out of the queue so it does only ring at desks where people are present.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The queue is your best option. Even if someone else were at their desk, they would never receive a call if there was a way to have only one at a time in a ring group.

If you absolutely, positively insist on doing it that way, you could have every extension set-up with the same number, but turn off the option of allowing more than one call at a time. On an incoming call, all sets would ring but a second ,or subsequent call could go to a busy signal, or wherever, (voicemail?).

Any set would still be able to place outgoing calls.

4. win2

Thanks for the suggestions - a call queue was what I had in mind. It is, however , a law office... Which implies lawyers. These guys consider a ballpoint a high-tech, overcomplicated device; the still use fountain pens and parchment. The senior partner uses his laptop as a paper-press; I don't think he ever turned the thing on... Just to say I have to keep the setup as idiot proof as possible; the reason I implemented voip is the fact that they have several offices that are physically completely separated; this was the only way to have a unified telephony system. All the nice stuff 3cx offers does not appeal to them at all. Registering the same extension on all the phones is an interesting option, though; if I register a second extension on each Phone, they would still be able to forward calls and use the in-house Phone system.

I'll keep you informed...

Have a nice one,

Bruno.

5. rogueblackburn

As tom_ch and leejor suggested, queue or even a ringroup is the nnnnn proof way, give each person their own extension number, just the way it was when fountain pens were still THE office tool. If they don't want to switch on their lap top, that is their business, but I am sure they, as most customers, don't care how you solve their problem, as long as you solve it. At the end of the day, if fountain pen 1 wants to speak to fountain pen 2 in private, and they all share the same extension, they will definitely complain because fountain pen 3 answered the call instead.

So go on, be the hero and bite the techno bullet for them

6. tom_ch

They could even log in and out of the queue with dialcodes...

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this, and obviously they don't think much of their clients if the just want to make them call back later. They should at least be convinced that any unanswered call be directed to voicemail, or, a receptionist, to allow for the taking of a message.

This at least gives the appearance that they care about their clients. Most callers, now a days, are not used to getting a busy signal and it can be quite annoying, as it forces them to have to remember to call back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.