Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Receive Faxes

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by KenC, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

I'm afraid I don't understand what I've read so far about configuring 3cx to receive faxes. Is either the free or the commercial version of 3cx capable of receiving faxes coming to the same pots line as voice (not simultaneously) through Patton 4112?

Thank you.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As long as the Gateway, and the ATA, that fax machine is attached to, support T.38 (and all of the options are set correctly), I'm under the impression, it will work. You may need to route all calls coming in on the fax trunk to the extension (888) of the machine. I don't believe that 3CX will distinguish a fax from a voice call and route each to an appropriate destination.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-spa3102-faxing-18855.html

3. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

There are 2 ways to support incoming faxes both with pros and cons:

T.38
    This method requires that either your voice provider or gateway is converting the fax to the T.38 protocol. In this mode 3CX can accept the fax and send it to email

G711 (Standard Analog Fax)
    With this method you connect a FAX machine to an ATA and configure the ATA as an extension.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KenC

I can report a kind of solution to this problem.

The Patton 4112 can be configured to reject particular phone numbers. So if the fax machine is set to receive faxes automatically after say 4 rings, and the Patton to answer calls after two rings, and the fax machine is on the same linein parallel to the Patton, with the Patton configured to route the fax numbers to "none," then the fax call keeps ringing until the fax machine picks up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.