Receiving someone else's calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Peter Richardson, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Richardson

Peter Richardson New Member

Hi all,

I sometimes receive calls that are not meant for my extension. Example: I just received a call on my Android phone app, when it would have been impossible for anyone to reach my softphone from outside as I have never set up 3CX to directly dial my extension. Any suggestions?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it went though the 3CX PBX, the call routing will be in the 3CX Activity log. Check after this happens again. Someone may have call forwarding, or another method (digital receptionist?), may be responsible.

3. Peter Richardson

I saw it in the log, but not sure what I'm looking for. It seemed to just go from this persons mobile number to my extension. There's no call forwarding or digital receptionist on our system.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it is in the log, then the mobile number is calling a number into the PBX. It is then routed or transferred to your extension (I assume). Post the log (X out any public IP, or phone numbers), and we can see what it happening.

5. Peter Richardson

Thanks @leejor

It happened again today. I have attached a couple of images. I found the exact event in Activity Log. I received a call on my extension (107) from the number ending in 0916. It should have been delivered to extension 150. The number that this person would have called is exclusively routed to extension 150. I initially tried doing this in Sip Trunks -> General -> Routing of calls to Main Number -> Destination for calls during office hours -> extension 150. But this only worked some times, and someone told me that I should try using a Ring Group (even though there's only one extension. So I created a ring group and changed the above setting from "extension 150" to the ring group. But today I received a call from someone who dialled the DID associated with extension 150, so I'm really lost as to what's going on.

Attached Files:

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You need to check the call flow as the logs you posted contain little info. First check that the inbound rule is correct and the incoming call to that number matches the inbound rule. If it routes to a ring group then add another extension to that ring group and see if that rings. Check the destination if no answer of the ring group and make sure your extension is not listed there.
    You can check the Activity log of the PBX located on the Dashboard of the management console and filter so that you view the call in question.

7. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

I have found that using a call report is easier than going through the log. The way the data is parsed makes it easier for me to see exactly how the call was routed through the system.

8. Peter Richardson

@YiannisH_3CX
    I have checked the inbound rule and it is set correctly to deliver all calls received on that DID to the ring group, and outside office hours to the voicemail of that one extension that is in the ring group.

Destination if no answer for the ring group is also set to the voicemail of that one extension.

According to the activity log, there was no calls made or received all day! I filtered it to include all calls for extension 107 between 1am and 11pm and nothing shows up whatsoever. Same for extension 150 (the one in the ring group).

Also, the log files (and everything else) in 3CX is in US time and date format. (MM/DD/YYYY) How do I change it to a different format?

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It is possible that there are Direct SIP Calls making it into your system and direct to your extension. Any call coming in over a trunk group will show in the logs, even if it went to another extension and was (incorrectly) forwarded to your number.
    Is there anyone on the other end of these calls? Is there ever a caller ID?

10. Peter Richardson

It's not really possible for them to be direct SIP calls to my extension because I have never given out my extension and it comes from a mobile phone number. They're just normal people that ring and say "Hi can I speak to Alison" and after a long and confused pause I eventually figure out that it's another incorrectly routed call and tell them that there must be something wrong with their phone system and to call back later!

11. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Is your extension the operator extension by any chance? You can check by navigating to settings / PBX settings and check under the operator extension.
    You can change that by changing the language of the system to english (uk) from the top right of the management console.

12. Peter Richardson

Hi @YiannisH_3CX

No, my extension is not the operator, should it be? Operator is set to an extension that is in my ring group though.

English UK is not an option - please see image.

Attached Files:

13. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

That means you are not on version 15.5. Once you upgrade you will be able to see it.

I asked if your extension is the operator in case the caller was pressing * in the voicemail menu and the call ended up to your extension.
    Check if the operator extension has any forwarding rules to forward calls to your extension

14. Peter Richardson

Okay. My extension was not listed as the operator. No forwarding rules from operator to my extension either. What to look at now?

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well...calls just don't route randomly. As we all know, 3CX needs to be told how to handle calls. Something is telling it to route to your extension. The Activity log should show what is happening. If it isn't clear, you may need to change some of the routing during off hours. Set up some simple inbound rules and see if calls follow those.

16. Peter Richardson

Thanks @leejor, indeed the logs should tell us what is going on. I just don't understand how to read them. Do you? If so, what would you like me to copy and paste for you to understand what is going on? I have already checked the easy stuff, like inbound rules, routing during inside/outside office hours.

17. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So first you will want to turn your activity logging to verbose. Then next time it happens, identify the call # (C:9) in your previously posted image. Then filter based on the call number which will show the complete call path through your system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Peter Richardson

Hi @cobaltit

So it happened again today, however I can't find it in the logs because they called from an anonymous caller ID. So I've been trying to sift through the ENORMOUS amount of data from the activity log, but to no avail. As there are pages and pages of data which would take hours to obfuscate, can I send you a private message with the logs around the time it happened?

19. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

The easiest way to do it would be to start with the extension that received the call. If you know the rough timing even better. In the filter set the date/time range, set 'Search by extension' to the extension that received the call and then 'Search by call' to 'All calls'. Find the offending call you and should see a line that looks something like this:

Code:
    08/28/2017 5:30:37 PM - L:273.2[Extn:210] got Terminated Recv 487/INVITE from 127.0.0.1:5488 tid=fd11b715323bd138 Call-ID=5Vcu0d975XazVEhux1sLlg..:
    SIP/2.0 487 Request Terminated
    Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 127.0.0.1:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-524287-1---fd11b715323bd138;rport=5060

In this example this was call #273 since the services were last restarted. Then go back to the filter and change 'Search by extension' to 'All extensions' and then 'Search by call' to the call number. Hit the 'Load more' button in the bottom right until it grays out. You should find the first line at the bottom looks something like this

Code:
    08/28/2017 5:30:17 PM - Added leg L:C:273.1[No endpoint yet]
    Then scroll up about a page and after the initial SIP invite you should see something like this:

Code:
    08/28/2017 5:30:17 PM - [Flow] Call(C:273): has built target endpoint: RingAll:800 for call from L:273.1[Line:10004<<8675309]
    08/28/2017 5:30:17 PM - [CM503010]: Call(C:273): Making route(s) from Line:10004<<8675309 to <sip:800@1.2.3.4:5060>
    Here you can see that the system made a routing decision and sent the call to extension 800 which is a ring group called 'RingAll'.

At that point you can look at your routes pointing that destination as well as the SIP headers before that to see what information is being used to make that routing decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Peter Richardson

Thanks very much @cobaltit

I managed to filter it to a few lines:

28/08/2017 10:16:07 - Update MWI info for Extn:107: new=1; total=2
    28/08/2017 10:15:20 - [Flow] Endpoint Extn:107 has no forwarding rule on reason 'All calls'
    28/08/2017 10:15:20 - OverrideExt.107 has no profile override, RG calls are enabled
    28/08/2017 10:15:20 - [Flow] Target endpoint for 107 is Extn:107

What does this all mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.