Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Recieving Calls from Cellphon

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by grantwatson, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grantwatson

Hi,

The situation is when i arrive home from work i place my cell phone into a docking station to sync with my PC and charge, of course I miss any calls if I’m not in the room.

Is there any way to set the cell phone up as an incoming trunk to the 3cx PBX so it would call a ring group?

This sort of thing would be useful as a backup trunk for outgoing calls also if the main trunk stopped working.

Anyone tried doing this?

Thanks
    Grant

2. grantwatson

Sorry should have added that the cell phone connects to my home network and gets allocated an IP address either via the USB cable or via wireless connection.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I know of no such phone operating system or firmware that will emulate any of the various interface capabilities such that direct cell phone to IP-PBX trunking can occur. Cell phones are simply end point devices and do not have either the hardware or software capability of taking a cell protocol (LTE, 4g, 3G GSM, TDMA, CDMA, etc) and converting into a usable trunk capable circuit with SIP.

You have a coupke of possible options:
    1. Call forward the cell phone to a number/line that is already interfaced into 3CX.
    2. Use a cellular docking station that intefaces beck into the internal home phone wiring. From there you would need to get a Gateway device to take the PSTN to 3CX. Some cell phone makes have a docking station specifically for the purpose and for those that don't have a docking station solution, there are some standalone devices that make use of bluetooth signalling to accommodate.

I have not tried any of the docking station solutions in this scenario, but know of their existence and it seems possible that it coould be done using an FXO ATA.

I have used the docking station solution in years past, but I found them to be not very reliable.

Other on the forum may have other experience, so hope you hear more.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I do this already.

Find a Bluetooth to (landline) phone adapter. (Thompson/GE TC21518EC1-T1 was one, it is probably now obsolete) The kind that are meant to ring all the phones in your house when you receive a call on your mobile (not the type that also include a cordless phone).

They generally also allow you to make and recieve calls, from the landline phones in your house, to/from your mobile number. You then connect that to a SIP gateway (like the SPA3102, FXO port). This allows the mobile to be brought into 3CX as a trunk. The mobile can then be accessed/answered like any PSTN line. If you leave bluetooth on, the phone should connect automatically when you are in range of the device.

One drawback ...Most of these devices require that you send a * or # when placing an outgoing call, as many allow more than one mobile to connect via bluetooth. Gateways have a problem sending these digits, so do your research on the model you choose or you maybe limited to incoming mobile to 3CX calls, which may be all you need anyway.

5. grantwatson

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Correct the Thompson/GE TC21518EC1-T1 is now obsolete and i have not found one anywhere, however doing some more research i have found a Intellinet XLINK BTTN Cellular Bluetooth Gateway. this appairs that it will do the tick.

Cheers
    Grant

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

They seemed to be more popular a while back, and have been largely been replaced with DECT cordless phones that incorporate a Bluetooth link to your mobile.

I suppose the thinking is that the majority of users are moving to cordless, if they still use landlines at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.