• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Recommend a FXO for UK usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2009

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm looking for a FXO (only need 2 ports) which can work 100% in the UK with BT and virgin media PSTN lines.
I haven't had much luck with any units thus far, so it would be great to hear from people in the UK.
Of course it will need to be supported/recommended by 3CX listed devices.

Many thanks

While not in the UK, it may be beneficial to know what you have tried (make/model) and the issue with each that made them undesireable. Others may have a different experience and can suggest possible "fixes" to your findings and/or won't take the time to post units that you have already rejected. On the other hand, perhaps your findings are situations that the others have not come across......yet. Just a suggestion as I am kind of curious myself.

Good luck.

Hi,
I have used Cisco Linksys 3102 and Grandstream GXW4104 with no problems. I did have a faulty PSU with the Grandstream that caused the CLI not to be displayed, as it was noisy.

They do need to be set up correctly for tones, impedance and disconnect (the exchange disconnects the line for around 100ms when clearing the call).

I also agree with lneblett who suggests that you should let us know what you have tried.

Richard

Thanks for your replies.
I've actually used both of them and although I'm currently using the 3102 - the grand stream died on me so I never bothered to replace it.

The problems I'm having with the 3102 are the following:
No caller ID
Audio sounds a bit strange - idle tone; buzzing in the background when in a call, low audio volume (both ends)
It doesn't always completely dial the number input (but only sometimes).

Would you be able to post your configuration pages on the unit so I can compare it with mine please?

Caller ID should work, if the settings match the CID method used by your provider. I'm not sure if Virgin uses the standard UK CID, or something closer to the Bellcore version used in North America. Which line are you actually using it on?

Have you had a look at this site? http://james-lloyd.com/wiki/SPA3102_UK_Settings#Disconnect_Detection

Hi,
I believe they should be nearly the same but I'm not too sure. This why I was hoping to find a better unit which can actually detect the settings.

Here is a screenshot of the area which I'm not sure about on the settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 23.22.08.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 23.22.08.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,501
Well, looking over your settings, a few things stand out. Keeping in mind that I'm not sure exactly how you have this deployed (but I'm assuming it is as a trunk into 3CX).

PSTN ring thru line 1 should be NO (unless you really want the phone in the FXS socket to ring as well)

I'm not sure why you have the PSTN to SPA and SPA to PSTN gain, set so high. That is usually asking for audio problems, mostly echo. If levels are that low then there may be other issues with the phone line that you are over compensating for.

Is there a reason the the line in use voltage is that low? On a 48 volt phone line, I find that 30 volts seems to work just fine.

PSTN ring timeout is usually left at the default of 5 seconds. This is the amount of time, after the last ring burst, before the gateway decides that the PSTN ring has ceased.

I see you have the PSTN answer delay set to 3 seconds, which is the North America minimum for caller ID to work. I'm not sure what the minimum need to be for UK type caller ID. You could try increasing that a bit to see if that helps. You are sure that you have caller ID option on the line, right?

You didn't include the CID settings.

h2009 said:
I was hoping to find a better unit which can actually detect the settings.

I'm not sure that there is a gateway out there that will set itself. Most (from the ones I have dealt with) seem to come with North America settings and have to be manually customized for your particular country.

I have been using this site to setup my device - although from when i last looked at it a few items have changed.
http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

I've made a few changes that you've suggest and also what the webpage now suggest but sadly its still not coming through.

Attachments

• Linksys SPA Configuration.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 33
Ok I made some progress.
I've fixed all the issue bar 1 - caller ID (incoming)

Attachments

• Linksys SPA Configuration2.zip
    18 KB · Views: 44
In Australia we have to request (& pay for) Caller Id to be sent on the PSTN line. Is this the same in the UK or is it provided as part of a basic service?

Dave P.

Have you confirmed that you do actually have caller ID, using another device? If so, what provider are you using the 3102 with? You mentioned both BT and Virgin. I have heard that some cable providers (and if you are using Virgin, I don't know how you receive it), in the UK, use a different method of CID.

If it is with Virgin...it looks like others are perplexed about their CID method as well. It may come down to what company previously provided service before Virgin took over in your area.

Hi,
At the moment I'm using a VM line which has caller ID if using a normal handset - In the past CID was working but something changed which prevented it from showing up again. But its like you say it might be an older network provider that was supplying us and when that changed the requirement must have changed too.

Hi,
Sorry for not replying before. Definitely I have found the SPA3102 to be very good. I have a screen shot of the CLI and tone settings in Regional, so that you can compare.

Richard

Attachments

• 3102_regional_uk.JPG
    3102_regional_uk.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,471
  • 3102_tones_uk.JPG
    3102_tones_uk.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,471
  • 3102_pstn_uk.JPG
    3102_pstn_uk.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,470
Thanks for the screenshots - sadly, those settings don't seem to be helping either.

Also for some reason now, the PBX isn't picking up the incoming call from the SPA unit (even after I return the settings and to a reset to the unit). Nothing seems to be registering on the log for incoming calls.
Out going calls work without issue thou.

Sending an incoming call to 3CX relies on dialplan 8 in the PSTN settings, to "forward" the call to the trunk number at the PBX. Be sure that you have turned off any "ring thru line 1" options. Are your settings still the same as the Zip file you posted?

Hi
I've uploaded a new file here just with a few changes in place (better tone quality). Also I've disable ring thru line 1 option - i was simply testing a few items with it.

Attachments

• Cisco SPA Configuration.zip
    25.2 KB · Views: 39
Sorry can't open a webarchive file, the last one was an htm file.

Sorry for that - safari vs google

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 50
You've changed the trunk number in the settings, did you also change that in 3CX? PSTN CID for VoIP CID should be yes. Still looking at the rest of the settings...

RTP Packet size should be 0.020 SIP/RTP parameters

Increase your PSTN answer delay to about 3 seconds ...PSTN tab That works well for North American CID, not sure if it affects UK caller ID.

Other than that I don't see anything obvious that would prevent it from working. I assume that the trunk in 3CX also uses port 5062?

I see you've also upgraded the software.

Hi Lee,
I've just made the changes you've mentioned (expect for the PSTN delay answer) and now CID is working and trucking is working to the PBX!

Well done for picking on those points - I've must have been seeing what I wanted to see; rather than what it should have been. If that makes sense to you?

But again, thank you for taking the time to check over the settings throughout.

Edit: 10008 was a new line setup.
For anyone else in the UK these are the confirmed and test settings for Virgin Media and it also works with BT as at 26/3/12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imperial Treasure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.