Recommendation for 4-port FSO/FXS terminal adapter

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by scruffybob, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scruffybob

After bashing my head on a problem with using Cisco SPA-3102's, I've concluded that I need new ATAs.

What I'm doing is terminating 4 POTS (analog) lines from the phone company and I need four handsets (analog) in the office. These can be thought of as completely independent, although it was convenience using both sides of the SPA-3102.

I don't care about expandability, nifty functionality (since the 3CX is doing all the heavy lifting), or anything other than basic POTS-to-3CX and 3CX-to-analog handset mediation.

The SPA-3102's have a nastly little bug that mishandles caller-id (making it useless for our application), so I'd like to understand if there are any hidden "gotchas" with any of the other terminal adapters.

The only feature I'd like is "automatic PSTN failover" (if a single device supports both the FSO/FXS). If the 3CX is down, unable to register, or the terminal adapter loses power, I'd like it to loop the incoming POTS lines to the handsets. The SPA-3102's had this capability.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. STCJeff

We're using one of the Patton SmartNodes to interface to our 4 POTS lines. It works great with caller ID, but I haven't tried it with an analog handset. Initial setup was a bit archaic (telnet console, bleah), but once the basics are in the web-based management works fine. Call quality is good too.

http://www.patton.com/products/pe_products.asp?category=51

3. scruffybob

Yeah, I like the look of the Patton SmartNodes, but holy cow, are they expensive! I'm seeing typical price quotes between $800 and $1000 USD. Remember, I'm moving from the Cisco SPA-3102's (which are $60 * 4 = $240 USD for 4 FSO + 4 FXS). Now, the SPA doesn't actually work for my application, but since I'm just using the ports for analog/SIP conversion and I don't really care about anything else the SmartNode is capable of doing, I was hoping to get by with a solution that was a little less expensive (ok, a LOT less expensive). You can't even pick up a cheap one on Ebay.

I'll reuse my existing SPA's on the remote end of my connections, so I do need a new solution that provides a total of 4FSO + 4FXS. I'm not opposed to four simple ATAs. Since the ATA functionality is all I need, the SmartNodes seems to be way overkill in this application.

Best regards,
    Ron

4. alexmallia

alexmallia New Member
    3CX Support

You can also use the Grandstream GXW-4004 FXS .

This is the same as the Grandstream GXW-4024 FXS and you can configure it with the same instructions found on http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/Grandstream-GXW4024.html

regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.