• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Recommended partitioning scheme for maximum reliability and performance on Debian Linux version

Status
Not open for further replies.

icns01

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hi 3CXers, I was researching what would be the best partitioning scheme for the 3CX Debian version for reliability and optimum performance. BTW, I've found The Linux partitioning guide by Pollock to be a really good read...here's the link to it: https://wpollock.com/AUnix1/Partitioning.htm

At the time of writing, neither the training nor any of the other posts address this. the basic Training video simply suggests to put everything on one partition, but i don't think this is likely to give optimum performance.

I looked at partitioning recommendations for Asterisk, Cisco CallManager, and Avaya IP Office Server edition and I am seeing multiple partitions, particularly for Cisco CM.

So far this is what I am thinking (using an esxi vm with 4gb ram and 500gb drive in Raid 1 config):

root "\" 400gb (this is what ever is left over from the allocated space for the other partitions)
var
- 85gb - log files location, with possibly a lot of read/writes, therefore a good candidate for its own partition
swap - 6gb ( based on a recommendation for calculating swapfile size I saw on another forum)
tmp - 9gb VMware recommends the /tmp at least 1.5 times the amount of virtual memory on your system.
home
- doesn't really need to be a separate partition. can exist as a directory under root.

This leaves about 400gB not specifically allocated and my assumption is that this will be used by the root "\" partition.

A so far unanswered, but big, question is:

Where on the Debian installation are the voicemail and call recordings stored?

These are typically the largest consumers of disk space and one would want to provision carefully for this and not run out of disk space prematurely. And knowing this could possibly influence the partition size allocation.

I hope someday 3cx will address this in a comprehensive way but in the meantime, I am reaching out to the community for your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.
ICNS01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.