• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Recommended routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentsmithitaly

Reaction score
Dear all,
After having call quality issues when running 3CX server on AWS instance, we decided to move the 3CX server on a VM running on local server, which has plenty of resources.
Now the only traffic on WAN is between 3CX server and SIP trunk provider (Clouditalia).
However the call quality drops when there is a heavy upload traffic on the connection (30/3Mbps)
I have pinpointed the cause to the TP-Link Archer C2600 router, which, despite a powerful hardware, has subpar software. QoS seems not to work with upload traffic, moreover SIP ALG is permanently active and cannot be disabled, confirmed by TP-Link support.

Which router do you recommend? I have read many use DrayTek, will the 2120 model be up to the task or need a higher-end model?
https://www.draytek.com/en/products/products-a-z/router.all/vigor2120-series/

Unfortunately I see there is no recommended router list, so any feedback would be welcome.

Thank you for your advices,
Nick

Use draytek all the time , for home use I would at 2120 is up for the job. The only issue is that it does not have ADSl / VDSL port just wan Ethernet ports. If your ISP presents your internet connection via a network cable this will be fone

Has all the necessary options, as per https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/draytek-firewall-voip/

Reactions: StefanW
@Saqqara: thank you for your feedback, the ISP provide an Ethernet interface so it should be ok

@eddv123: thank you, I have been considering getting a more expensive multi-WAN router, problem is the area where the company is located has poor DSL service, main service is provided by a Fixed wireless provider, the only alternative would be through 3G/4G connection

Why not something a bit more robust and useful. We deploy Meraki and it has numerous options for QoS and traffic shaping. Couple that with full viability of your network, you can't go wrong.

We use pfSense at all our sites, about 20, never had a problem with any of them. Super powerful hardware And software. You have complete control - VPN, QoS, multi WAN, everything. Let me know if you need any further information, I'm happy to help.

There is no best router until you can define the requirements of what your situation demands. Recommended is a list of what others have used that met their requirements for their network, security, wireless, VPN, QoS and other needs while also working well with SIP and 3CX in particular. It may also have something to do with your skill level and comfort in working with manufacturer's configurations as well the amount you are willing to spend.

I worked with TP-Link engineering several years ago as I too thought from the spec sheets and all that I had found a robust, well designed router. Only after getting into it did I discover the issues (same as you), but these were on business grade routers. After finally convincing them of the issue and getting several loads of test firmware, they delivered one that worked, but it required some unusual settings and they never rolled it out. I gave up and moved on.

If your reason for changing is the upload issue (despite or in conjunction to being TP-Link), then you need to really examine the bandwidth utilization. To me, QoS is not a solution but rather a mechanism by which to provide a path for priority packets to make it to the door first. Think the Titantic and women and children first. Not all made it and neither will all the packets even if priority tagged if the connection is that heavily saturated.

The one thing I will note, is that you will notice that all of the responses in this thread are related to business class capable routers. There were no Belkins, D-links and other consumer grade routers mentioned as these are usually geared for the home user whose interest is Wi-Fi, streaming, gaming and cost. The Archer fits these. These typically lack the level of control and settings (object oriented firewall, Bandwidth shaping and other) that business grade accommodates.

Reactions: Peter Richardson
@Sean Glasspool I rather prefer an old school, locally-managed router than something cloud-managed, seems safer to me.

@Peter Richardson I was unaware of this open-source solution, which may be overkill for my specific customer requirement and size, but will have a look at it for sure

@lneblett thank you for your comprehensive reply. I believe the specific QoS of this model is faulty, as the download speed was throttled but the upload was not throttled at all. In all these years I had several TP-Link consumer-grade gear and realized, while they were cheap, more often than not I had to power cycle them or to disable broken features.
Even as a consumer I prefer now to spend a little more and get a more reliable device, for businesses, where downtimes are lost money, this is a no brainer.

I ordered the Vigor 2120 and let you know if it is a good, affordable (120 Euros) router for a 3CX installation.

On the draytek you disable alg under NAT - ALG

@agentsmithitaly
How is cloud managed not secure? you can enable 2FA etc. Cloud managed with a good MSP is the only way for me...............

The 2120 is no longer available in the US. They now have a 2133. However, I have the 2120 at my home and have no issues.

Hi agentsmithitaly,
See the response here from StefanW (3CX's technical manager) it should give you everything you need:
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/best-router-for-3cx-voip.37338/

Uh my post is old, but most is still valid . Just as an Update

Statement 2009: SonicWall (no full cone nat support)
--> Sonicwall provides in later firmwares an option to not alter the ports on NAT (or better PAT).
https://www.3cx.com/docs/sonicwall-firewall-configuration/

Statement 2009: Fortigate (uncontrollable SIP ALG Function)
--> Still a complicated Firewall in terms of disabling SIP ALG, but with the latest documentation we also have it working. Not saying that in some other routings, VPNs etc we will find some more. But basics are also working.
https://www.3cx.com/docs/fortigate-firewall-configuration/

To add one well working to the list must be pfSense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWinker
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.