Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Recording Function of 3CX for XP stand alone PC

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by walterf, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walterf

I have just installed the 3CX Phone ver 4.0.9530.0 software on my XP pc and I am impressed with how well it works. But when I press the record button, which I really need, it shows that it is recording but when I go into the 'Calls Recording' screen with the "record as local files' check box ticked no recordings are logged nor can I find where the software stores the recording on my PC. Can any one help me with this one? And is there the facility to change where the recordings are stored?

2. Janek

I also have problem with calls recorded locally not showing any recordings
    3CXPhone ver. 4.0.9530.0
    3CXPhoneSystem ver 8

Recording works OK if I set recording on server

On the 3CX softphone I have record as local files unchecked
    On 3CX phone system console I have Extensions/"ext number"/Other tab/Extension options/Record all calls ticked
    The recorded files store at location that you can view or change at Settings/General/Global options/other settings/Recording path.

3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you are talking about the PHONE SYSTEM... The Recordings go here:
    For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Data\Recordings
    For Vista: C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Recordings

Voice Mails go here:
    For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Data\Ivr\Voicemail
    For Vista: C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Voicemail

If you are talking about the VOIP PHONE... The recordings go here:
    For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\Recordings
    For Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\3CX VoIP Phone\Recordings

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Janek

Have done some testing which has helped me to understand more on how call recording functions.
    It wasn’t immediately obvious to me how it all worked, so hope this will assist others.
    MANUAL RECORDING FROM SOFTPHONE
    • On the 3CX softphone, ticking the Record as local files box does NOT record calls unless you click the record symbol on the main phone GUI when a call is connected & in progress.
    • If “Record as local files” is enabled, the recording will be held on the local machine & the file will be available for “Listen” from the softphone GUI
    • If “Record as local files” is not enabled, the recording will take place on the 3CX server in the virtual extension folder (10000 on my system) for incoming or “ext number” folder for outgoing calls.

AUTOMATIC RECORDING FROM 3CX SERVER
    • On the Server Management Console extension config “Other” tab, when record all calls is ticked, incoming calls will show in the 10000 folder & outgoing in the “ext number” folder
    TRANSFERRED CALLS
    • Incoming call will record both initial segment & transferred segment in the 10000 folder, even if the second extension is not recorded
    • Outgoing call will record both initial & second segment in the folder for the calling ext even if the second ext is NOT set to record all calls (Provided the first ext is set to record calls)
    • If the initial ext for outgoing call is not recorded then only the segment after transfer will be recorded if THAT ext is set to record. (the recording will appear in folder for first ext!)

5. walterf

Thanks for that, but yep I run XP on a standalone PC and use the 3CX Softphone to make calls and it works very well.

I have ticked the Record as local files box and clicked the record symbol on the main phone GUI when a call is connected and in progress. It shows on the GUI that it is recording but when the call is concluded there is no list to view in the calls recorded log and when I look on the drive I cannot find any new files or folders any where on ‘c’ drive (software installed on ‘c’ drive) that contain recordings that were supposed to created. The ‘Recordings’ folder is nowhere to be found on the ‘c’ drive as per ‘XP: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\Recordings’

Does the recordings folder only get created when calls begin to be recorded? It was not created when the software was installed.

6. Janek

Have you installed just the free version of 3CX without activating a licence key?

If you haven't activated a licence key some commercial options may not be available to you

7. walterf

Yep it is the free version, it did not say that it was unavailable.

8. Janek

Please check page 11 of brochure

http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/3CXPhoneSystem_brochure.pdf

Suggest try to email local 3CX sales rep to see if they can help

9. walterf

Silly me I went to the manual on the web site and it spoke about recording but did not mention any limitations.

10. walterf

Forgot to say thanks Janek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.