Recordings location

Discussion in 'Windows' started by T_Hammar, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Hammar

Is it possible to change the recordings location on the phone or is it set in stone?

Thanks!
    /Tomas

2. Discovery Technology

I think you'll find that the phone system itself records the calls and there is a function on the phone syetm that allows you to set the recording locatino to anywhere you like:

Settings --> General --> Global Options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. T_Hammar

Hmm, I might have been unclear, but it is the "3CXPhone – VoIP Phone for Windows" I am fiddling with. Just the voip phone, not the pbx.

I can't find a string in the registry, so I guess it is the phone itself that keeps the folder setting.

Any ideas?

4. Discovery Technology

Fair enough - would have normally thought that the phone system would do the recording though. 3CX is pretty good if you are using something different.

Have you taken a look at the .ini files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\3CX Assistant\data\initdata folder?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. T_Hammar

Big thanks for a quick answer and effort!

Here follows an explanation how I intend to use the phone.

I sometime connect the voip phone to an asterisk pbx - In that case, the pbx can do the recording, but many cases involve separate sip accoount to a sip provider. To record those calls I normally use Xlite 3 built in recording functionality, but it has it's shortcommings. Therefore I am on the lookout for another phone that also can record the call. After recording is done, I need to fetch the file and put it in a database application, therefore the location must be easily found.

I do not have that directory you specified - my directories are:
    C:\Program\3CXPhone - and there is no data-folder or init in there.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tomas\Lokala inställningar\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone - the .ini-files here does not contain any information about recording location. (The actual recordings folder is in this folder)

Thanks once again!

6. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Tomas

Tomas, there is no way to change 3CXPhone's recording folder. All 3CXPhone's user's data - including recordings - is stored into one place (Menu - Debug - File - Configuration folder). There is no registry key to search for, 3CXPhone don't write anyting to the registry (even the "start at Windows logon" is implemented by using user's Startup dedicated folder, not the registry).

The main reason of this decision is to avoid, let's say, "data collison" between installations. On your machine you have two users, both of them using 3CXPhone, suppose both choose to store recordings on C:\Temp\Recordings.

Regards
    vali

7. T_Hammar

Hi Vali

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, the main reason you state are correct, BUT, you could without sacrificing anything, store this in any personal folder, desktop or my docs, that is easily found in another application. Furthermore, if the files are named with a timestamp - there should be no collision even if a non-personal folder is used. Perhaps it could be confusing listening to "my" recordings and hear another persons recordings, on the other hand, you would probably know that you are not the only one using this computer also.

Since I develop a database application that uses 3rd party phones, regular via tapi and/or SIP phones, I want the phone to be able to store the recordings at the same place regardless of the phone used. I could/must perhaps separate the code for this, so depending on the phone used - search another directory.

We normally use X-lite 3 as a sip phone - it has recording and auto-answer (two musts), BUT it can not handle foreign letters "åäö" in the search path to the recordings. X-lite 3 will probably not see a fix for this since x-lite 4 is out.
    Since newer OS do not like applications to use "hard" paths like C:\recordings, we must use personal folders, wich is fine by us, but here in Sweden - almost all Windows accounts is "Administratör" with an "ö" (that is an o with two dots above).

3CX voip phone looks like a nice alternative, regardless of where recordings are located. If we know that customers use 3CX, we can look at 3CX recordings path instead.

Thanks once again for your reply!

/Tomas

8. Bmize

The 3CX Phone will not allow you to record calls and store them on a machine locally because of the legal implications involved. My suggestion is to use X-Lite and set the location in the application's settings. I run a environment with Windows 7 Pro and 8 Pro and do not have any issues with hard paths, in fact I use the same path that you mentioned above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.