Redial is inconsistent

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by deeleyit, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeleyit

Howdy,
    we have installed the 3CX phone system in our office. We have 4 Yealink phones, 1 Panasonic, 1 Polycom, and a couple softphones on tablets. The system is working very well, IMO. However, the redial is not working all the time.
    When we recieve a call without an area code the redial works everytime, but if the incoming call has the area code in the CID the redial fails. Since I am new to the VOIP scene, I am struggling to try and find the setting that is needed to make this work.
    Any input would be welcomed,
    Joe

Details: 3CX installed on Windows 7, Patton 4114 gateway connected to 2 landlines.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is it a problem with your outbound rules? Is the number (as shown on the phones display) being dialled "as-is"? If so, and there isn't an outbound rules that is satisfied (the 3CX log will confirm this), then you will need to add rules that cover numbers with the area code.

3. deeleyit

Hi leejor,
    Maybe..
    I have a rule for 7, 10, 11 digit numbers.
    Strip Digits is 0

Yes, this is where I am getting bogged down. If I set the outbound to Strip 3 Digits, then only calls with the area code will redial. This is the part I'm not getting.
    The area code our office resides in(585) is set in the advanced settings along with country code(011) and national call number(1).
    Thanks for the help,
    Joe

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not completely following. If you have rules that cover the dialling of 7 and 10 digit numbers, is it because the number showing on the display does not include the national prefix?

What are examples of numbers (with and without areacode) that you are sending to 3CX, as a redial, and what is it that you want to send out to your provider?

Don't forget that outbound rules are matched from top to bottom, so you can have more than one 7 or 10 digit rule using the first digit(s) to specify which to use. You don't have to go by digit length alone.

5. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Check your server activity log and see how the number is trying to be sent out. This will usually always give you the information you need to fix it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. deeleyit

Howdy,
    The area code we reside in is 585
    First Scenario:
    Incoming call number displays on phone and 3CX logs as 5851234567
    Redial attempt sends all 10 digits, which fails.
    The failed redial call, is a local call and does not need the area code.
    Second Scenario:
    Incoming call number displays on phone and 3CX logs as 1234567
    Redial attempt sends 7 digits and call completes as expected.

Thanks for the guidance,
    Joe

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So if you have an outbound rule that takes all 7 digit number "as-is", strips nothing and adds nothing, and then sends it out that way, and that works for you...then, you may need a rule that deals with numbers starting with 585, 10 digits long, strips three (the 585), then sends out. That should send out the remaining 7 digits. If you dial other 10 digit numbers and have a rule that takes care of that, then put that rule after the 585 rule, that would then deal with a 10 digit number that did not begin with 585.

Verify, in the 3CX logs, that this is happening. It is risky making suggestions, based on assumptions.

8. rbc94

I ran into this problem with our system because we use a VoIP provider as well as a PSTN gateway. One solution I found that has worked for us is most PSTN carriers allow 11 digit dialing for all calls, including local. I set our system to always dial all 11 digits even for local calls. this setup also satisfies the VoIP provider requirement that all calls have the full 11 digits. this config has worked perfectly for us. It's worth a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.