Redirect outbound calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by craigreilly, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I have been asked about redirecting outbound calls to an extension.
    ie: someone says in an email "call me at 4805551212". Someone picks up the phone and dials 4805551212. The phone system goes, oh, that is an inbound rule - and goes to extension 1212 - let me redirect that.
    How this helps:
    1) Now uses 1 call path
    2) eliminates call charges

We have some phones in offices around the country that all connect to my server in Arizona.I have not seen anyone call someone local using their DID yet - only those that are not physically in this office.

Seems the only way is to create a Loopback Provider for each DID phone number... ??? (This still uses 2 call paths I think)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So...are you saying, that rather than creating a loop-back trunk, you'd rather have a feature where all/any local extension numbers could be reachable with the (normally) dialled "outside" number?

In outbound rules an additional (fourth) choice of route (added to the 3 current trunk routes), called "Local", where an extension number (or any locally dialled number such as a ring group) could be selected from a drop down menu, would make something like this possible. The call matching the digits would then never leave the PBX, but be directed to the extension. The original dialled number would not have to have any numeric relationship with the extension that it was directed to. You would simply put these numbers in the outbound rules ahead of the "catch-all' rule for any other similar format numbers.

Feature request?

3. craigreilly

So maybe not even an outbound rule.
    When someone dials a number - search the DID's first - if there is a match - just redirect it there immediately.
    (Not sure if this would present any issues with Fax DID's - but I do not think so).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Seeing as the outbound rules already deal with everything not found as an internal number, there would be a lot more flexibility if this option were simply added as an alternative to sending the call out on a trunk. Not everyone uses DID's.

5. craigreilly

If you don't have DID's then this isn't really an issue - is it?
    We have 60 DID's. About 1/2 used in phones around the country.
    If someone dials a number in the inbound rule then the call should follow that rule - instead of the Outbound Rules, then come back into our system via the Provider.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be limited to DIDs. A company may have an 800 number that goes to a help queue. That queue is also used by internal employees. If they "forgot" to dial the internal number, then the call could still be routed to the queue without leaving the PBX. Same with any PSTN overline/huntgroup" number that comes in on a gateway.

It could even be as simple as an outside number that you wish to block, or otherwise provide some "information". You could to direct it to an internal voicemail that gave an explanation as to why the call was disallowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.