• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Redirecting outbound calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyM

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
We have a requirement to divert certain often-dialled numbers to a different destination - in this specific case it is to take a call made to a dial-in conference service, and instead dial an international but local rate access number for the same service at a cost of around 10% of the original.

The dialled number will be 11 digits long, I need to throw the entire number away and call a different number instead. The outbound rules only let me strip off 9 digits.

Is there an elegant way to achieve this?

Yes, that limitation really needs to be changed. I'm thinking (and I haven't tried this myself, and the number of concurrent calls may be a limitation), you could create some dummy extensions. each has a SIP ID matching the original number. Those extensions would in turn be forwarded to the new number. This may work for one call/one number at a time. If you have a multiple callers trying to access the same number, it may not work.

I just put in a feature suggestion that includes an increase in the deleted digits, which would allow the complete replacement of all dialled numbers no matter the destination.
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/outbound-rule-s-to-internal-destinations.47762/#post-193003

Last edited:
Reactions: Phone systems NZ
Last edited:
Yes, that limitation really needs to be changed. I'm thinking (and I haven't tried this myself, and the number of concurrent calls may be a limitation), you could great some dummy extensions. each has a SIP ID matching the original number. Those extensions would in turn be forwarded to the new number. This may work for one call/one number at a time. If you have a multiple callers trying to access the same number, it may not work.

I just put in a feature suggestion that includes an increase in the deleted digits, which would allow the complete replacement of all dialled numbers no matter the destination.
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/outbound-rule-s-to-internal-destinations.47762/#post-193003

.... Just for fun I tried it and it works ! Pretty sure that's the most elegant solution you're going to get JonnyM (and a pretty good one actually)! Turn on "accept multiple calls" and make sure to set all the internal forwards to this new number, but not External calls.

Reactions: 3CXfan
Thanks, will give that a try and feed back with the outcome. I've tried to find the feature requests talking about a more robust outbound rule facility and upvote them, hopefully the team can see there's a requirement here.

Works great, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.