Reduce hard drive usage

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by leejor, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3CX is running on a bare bones Win XP pro system with 2 GB or RAM. Before 3CX was installed, the hard drive LED wouldn't come on when the system wasn't used and the drive would spin down after 10 minutes of inactivity. Now that 3CX is running, the hard drive is accessed every 15 seconds or so (read or write). Is there a way to turn off ALL logging, anything writing to the hard drive, so that it can spin down? I'd like to run this on a solid state 16 GB HD and given the limited (OK, about 100,000) write cycles, I'd like to minimize it as much as possible

2. Cjay

Cjay New Member

I've been running my 3cx system on XP PRO plus some other apps that I need 24x7 on a 32GB SSD drive. Been up for several months now on a cheapish Transcend MLC flash SSD unit with no apparent signs of distress. Transcend don't recommend MLC drives for operating systems (because of the slower write speeds compared to SLC), but mine seems fine for what I do. I have not done anything to try and reduce the drive load (but it doesn't look as if Win XP is using any paging file memory on a regular basis).

I fully expect the drive will die at some point from the abuse, I shall have to wait and see just how long it lasts.....!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.