Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Redundant SBC Support

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by cobaltit, Aug 23, 2017.

Redundant SBC Support 4.9 5 36votes
4.9/5, 36 votes

1. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

I'd like to see support for redundant SBCs. So this would be two SBCs devices at the customer premise and both IP's entered into the provisioning tab of the extension. This would cause the 2nd (backup) SBC to be provisioned as SIP Server 2/Outbound Proxy Server 2 in the account (or as a second account, not sure which is better).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    safemode, yanceyworks, it_gks and 6 others like this.
  2. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

3. Jim Canfield

+1 Just found this...I created a similar request.

4. Tony Cave

+1 for this, it would be incredibly useful

5. liss

6. yanceyworks

Like this idea, not sure my top 10 in need yet, but definitely see the value. Suspect we could most easily implement with the Yealinks as they support 2 connections to proxys/sbc's.

7. OCWI

OCWI New Member

+10000

8. nitrox

9. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

10. contoured

Big ups on that. Love SBC but its a usually a cheap piece of hardware that is likely to fail.

11. dandenson

dandenson New Member

FYI, this is really just a matter of phone provisioning for some models. Yealink and Grandstream for example can have a primary and failover proxy. If the provisioning templates and webui allowed for multiple proxies to be entered and passed to the phones, zero changes need to be made to the SBC.

Another option, 2 SBC and heartbeat. Set asside 3 IP addresses, 10.0.0.10,10.0.0.11,10.0.0.12. Install 2 raspberry pi SBC and give them .11 and .12. Install heartbeat and set the floating IP to .10 and the monitor to .1 (ie, the router). Install the SBC on each pi. Configure the phones to SBC address 10.0.0.10. Done.

Both of these methods work, I've tested them in the last few weeks. I'm avoiding version 1 because I don't like maintaining custom phone templates through updates.

I've had issues with the SBC though, specifically that issues it's supposed to solve, it isn't. So I've switched to VPNs to my hosted 3CX instances so everything is 'in net' and that's solved everything.

accentlogic likes this.
  12. AGidi

oh nice, so you install the VPN server on the VM that runs the 3cx? do you connect from the phones openvpn or gateway at the client?

13. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

3CX won't support any VPN installed on the 3CX server. Basically, you would use a site to site VPN from your cloud host (Google, Amazon, Azure, etc) to your local firewall/router. Works really well, but there is typically a monthly fee for the VPN from most cloud hosting companies.

14. phoneuser