Reformat/Prepend Inbound Caller ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by shiva, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiva

Hi

Before we begin, I'm new to 3CX and this is our first system.

Have setup a system using BeroNet ISDN gateway and Snom phones. To dial out, the user dials 9 and then the number. All outbound and inbound calls work fine. The only small minor issue is that inbound caller ids display the normal number eg. a call from 01234567891 displays as 01234567891 on the phone, however we need it to display 901234567891 so that you can return the call from the call history on the phones. How can I get it to prepend a 9 on inbound? Or should I do something different?

Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Some gateways are able to add digits. The other option is to try the caller ID reformat feature within 3CX. There hasn't been much about this (documentation) as it seems to still be in development.

3. madigan

That's pretty easy, provided you're running firmware version 8 on your snom phones.

You can use a dial plan which also applies for dialling out of caller lists and phone books.
    For example if you want to prefix 9 to all numbers consisting of more than three digits, enter the following string in the dial plan field of the particular identity: |^([0-9]{4,})$|sip:9\1@\d

4. semn

Another idea is to don't use anymore 9 in your outbound rules.

5. shiva

If you don't use 9 to signal an external call, then how does 3CX distinguish between internal and external calls? I would also need to then change voicemail from 999, as UK emergency services is 999

6. semn

I had the same issue in Romania at a client. (Here 112 is the local Emergency services.) My client ask me if i can modify the 3cx server to can call without a prefix number. ( the 3cx server was not installed by me i just takeover the support contract)
    Because the client use a configuration with internal extension made from 3 numbers start from 100 naturally i reach very easy the magic number 112. To avoid that i made 2 steps:
    First i modify the Cisco SPA profile to can push over the provisioning system a new configuration to all ip phones from network.( all ip phone are Cisco Spa5xx). The Cisco SPA phones have a very nice feature: you can configure what is the emergency number. In this location i declare 112 like emergency number.
    Second when was necessary to made a new extension and i reach the 112 i change the extension number, assigned by the configuration process, from 112 in 113.
    So right now if you dial 112 from every ip phone from the office you call at the emergency services and not to a local extension.
    Right now i don't know if you can change the voice mail number but i think you can ( you can try to take a look in advance parameters location) .
    The 3cx PBX system now when want to call a local extension because you probably use a numeration plan ( 3 or 4 digits). So if you want to dial to an extension using only 3 or 4 digit the pbx wait couple seconds and after that dial to the number. if you want to avoid to wait this seconds you can dial # and end of the extension number ( Ex dial 333# instead 333)
    Here is very popular to configure the PBX system to work without a prefix number and also to route all calls automatically to the chipper line. For this reason here probably 80% from the companys have landlines from all major phone companys and also 2 or more GSM trunks.
    I don't know if my suggestion work for you but you can try to think about.

Have a nice day.

George

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While this is possible in many "simple" systems with one type of trunking, it lacks the ability to do some flexible routing if your system uses, say, both a gateway and VoIP trunks, or multiple VoIP providers. There may be times when you want to force the same phone number over one route or the other. Some users like to reserve the first digit for other features. While not needed at first it keeps them available for the future.

Many installations also go in with dialplans that mimic the previous PBX so that users don't have to learn a new dialplan.

8. semn

You read my mind. Yes it's true in the last post i forgot to talk about this feature. In general my client request me to implement an automatic dial plan base by direction.( aka to be the cheaper way ). However always i implement couple rules in outbound table to can preselect a line if you want. In general i prefer to digits to do that ( ex 81 to select first line/trunk 82....). Another requirement is to create a dial plan to be very easy for the employ and if it's possible to mimic the old pbx system. Actually i think probably 90% from cases a client migrate to a sip system after an old pbx system (TDMA). So it's natural to try to mimic the old pbx to reduce impact to employs.

9. shiva

Just to let you guys know, I ended up removing 9, moving VM to 900 and set dialling rules for national/mobile/international calls, local calls and calls to emergency services and directory enquiries 118***.

10. Discovery Technology

Just for your info, there is a fairly easy way in version 9 to achieve this.

Once you've setup your VoIP trunk (or pstn device for that matter - this setting works for both) navigate to the DID on the trunk.

ie: Voip Providers --> trunkname --> DID

Down the botom of the screen is a tick box for "reformat caller ID" - check this and a new section appears below.

This works for 10-digit number dialling in Australia - you may need to experiment with different combinations for other number lengths or countries. This is also based on dialling '0' for an outside line, so once again a bit of testing may be required for the 9 scenario.

Leave the International Prefix field empty. Add a 0 to the Country Code field. Leave the Area Code Prefix field blank, and Insert a 0 in the Area Code field. Set the Local Number Length to 9 and select ok.

Make an inbound call to the trunk and you should now see a leading zero on the front of the inbound Caller ID - this helps if a user wants to return a missed call on their handset and a zero prefix is being used.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.