Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Registering a line from outside the LAN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cowpoke, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowpoke

I am working with 3CX on a LAN. Internally, everything looks good. I have an ATA into which a standard phone is plugged -- my smaller problem: I can't place calls (3 digit extension numbers) from that phone :roll:; however, I can receive calls from the other extensions on that line. (Should I be dialling something like 100#?)

I also have our VoIP service successfully registering on the 3CX box. My bigger problem: registering a soft phone from outside the LAN :oops:. I can see the LAN from an external site, and I have a portal to manage 3CX externally - that works great... Somehow, the softphone doesn't get registered though. Anyone have similar problems? How might you have resolved that :shock:?

[The softphone configuration is:

• Domain: external IP of hosting PC (same IP that I use to connect for 3CX management)
      Username: 237 (the extension)
      Password: ******
      Caller ID Name: 237
      Auth. username: 237
      Check mark on 'Use outbound Proxy'
      Outbound Proxy: same as Domain above
      Check mark on 'Register on Startup'
    I have 5060 specified as the SIP port/STUN is not enabled.]

Thanks,
    Cowpoke

2. galal202

galal202 New Member

enable stun
    make your voice mail pin number like your password

3. cowpoke

Thx -- the password is the PIN (extension) - I just wrote asterisks to mask it.

With STUN enabled, it still doesn't register -- I am using the default STUN setting that came with my softphone (stun.zoiper.com) -- should I use something else? The Refresh period is set to 30; STUN uses port 3478.

Thanks again!

4. mbellot

I don't think you understood.

In the Extension setup screen (on the server) make sure your Password in the second (Authentication) section is exactly the same as your voice mail PIN in the third (Voice Mail) section.

This one is very confusing and has tripped up several people.

5. Discovery Technology

Hi Cowpoke,

You should try using a dial plan on the ATA or a dial mask (depends upon the vendor as to what they call it) - on a Linksys PAP2 if you are trying to call 3 digit extensions the dial plan would be [xxx] - they have documented the other variations of this, and there are also some other useful settings that allow you to set the delay between button presses on the handset before it thinks it should dial. The documentation for the Linksys PAP2 is hard to find though (I found it hiding on an Italian web site if it helps)

Have you tried the tunnel feature on the 3CX softclient? We've tried this a few different ways and have managed to get a remote softclient working with or without the tunnel feature, as well as a Nokia N95 on a 3G network - sometimes getting this working depends upon your firewall setup and making sure that you have the correct ports forwarded to your 3CX Server.

The VoIPclient manual describes these settings reasonably well if you need a reference point.

Cheers, Brendan

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cowpoke

I have a setting on my Softphone for Outgoing Proxy... Should that be used? (it's optional). From inside the LAN, when I have that set, it doesn't get registered. I will need to double check from an external site if that is/was the problem there too.

I did fix the voicemail setting -- thanks for that pointer.

Cowpoke

7. Discovery Technology

Not sure why it didn't register you as I would expect that it would (unless the PBX delivers audio setting has some relationship with it.

Either way, I can see that you're trying to get the soft client to register from the outside, which should be as straightforward as...

Setting up port forwarding for 5060 UDP through to your 3CX Server
    Setting up RTP port forwarding to your 3CX Server (you could use 9000 - 9015 UDP which are the typical settings)
    STUN at your own end then register your soft phone.

You should be able to check the logs to ensure that you are getting proper STUN IP resolution (as it might be something to do with the firewall at the remote end - have you tried directly connecting this to the internet to see if it behaves any differently?)

Brendan

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Discovery Technology

This should keep you busy enough...

Dial Plan Syntax for the AC-211 ATA
    ====================================

A dial plan is a case insensitive character string or a list of strings. Any telephone keypad
    character is allowed:
    | “0” | “1” | “2” | “3” | “4” | “5” | “6” | “7” | “9” | “#” | “*” |
    Table 3-2 lists the Dial Plan characters.
    Table 3-2: The Dial Plan Characters
    Character(s) Description
    x - One of the allowed telephone keypad characters.
    T or t - Short for Timer. Implies a four-second delay, and can only be used at the end of a string.
    x. - Implies any number of characters (none or more).
    ># - Defines the character # as a terminating character. When dialing # the dialed number preceding the character # is immediately sent. The terminating character can only be entered after at least one user-dialed digit. Optionally the Dial Plan >* can be used to define the character * as the terminating character.
    [character1-character2] - Defines any character in the range between character1 and character2.
    P or p - Short for Prefix. Defines a prefix rule.
    R or r - Short for Replace. Defines a replace rule.
    | - Used to separate between multiple possible Dial Plans.

3.6.3 Dial Plan Examples

This section describes the following dial plan examples:
    Simple Dial Plan, Basic Dial Plan, Complex Dial Plan, Prefix Rule Dial Plan and Replace
    Rule Dial Plan.

3.6.3.1 Simple Dial Plan Example

The simple dial plan example allows dialing of seven-digit numbers (e.g. 2233445) or an
    operator on 0. The dial plan is:
    0T|xxxxxxx
    meaning that a match is produced if you dial zero followed by a four-second delay, or if you
    dial any seven-digit number.

3.6.3.2 Basic Dial Plan Example

The basic dial plan allows dialing of any number of digits. The dial plan is:
    x.T
    This ensures a match against one or more digits. A match is produced when a delay of about 4
    seconds follows any number of dialed digits.

3.6.3.3 Complex Dial Plan Example
    Table 3-3 lists the complex dial plan characters.
    Table 3-3: The Complex Dial Plan Characters
    Character(s) Description
    ># The # character defined as a terminating character.
    0T Local operator on 0.
    00T Long distance operator on 00.
    [3-5]xxx Four-digit local extension numbers starting with 3, 4, or 5.
    8xxxxxxx Seven-digit local numbers prefixed with 8.
    91xxxxxxxxxx Ten-digit long distance numbers prefixed with 91.
    9011x.T International numbers starting with 9011 with zero or more digits.

The complete syntax scheme of this dial plan is
    (>#|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|x.T).
    (>#|0T|00T|[3-5]xxx|8xxxxxxx|91xxxxxxxxxx|9011x.T)

3.6.3.4 Prefix Rule Dial Plan

Dial Plan Prefix is used to add a user defined prefix to the head of the dialed number.
    Syntax: p(STRING1)STRING2
    If a dialed number matches string1, string2 is added to the head of the dialed number.
    Example: p(2x.t)00
    Adds digits 00 to any dialed number beginning with the digit 2.

3.6.3.5 Replace Rule Dial Plan

Dial Plan Replace can be used to prevent a dialed sequence from being sent or a dialed
    sequence can be replaced by another sequence.
    Syntax: r(STRING,STRING2)STRING3.
    If a dialed number matches string1+string2, string1 is replaced by string3.
    Example 1: r(0,x.t)33
    Replaces leading 0 with 33 in a dialed number of any string beginning with zero.
    Example 2: r([1-3]0,xxx)
    Removes the digits 10, 20 or 30 from dialed numbers of format 10xxx, 20xxx or 30xxx.
    Example 3: r(1)345678
    Shortcut. Dialing 1 will be replaced with the number 345678.

Here is an example 7-digit dial plan:
    =====================================

This is using an area code of 717 and would dial immediately after you enter 7 digits if they start with a '2' through a '9'.

(>#|p([2-9]xxxxxx)1717|1xxxxxxxxxx|00x.T|*x.T)

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Brendan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.