Registration Error 403 - Forbidden

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Brett, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Brett

Hi,

I have searched and have not yet found an answer to my problem.
    I installed the most recent version of 3CX on a Windows 2003 Server. No problems on the install.. everything looks OK. I setup an extension, and install X-Lite on a client computer. When I attempt to connect using X-Lite, I receive the error:

Registration Error 403 - Forbidden

I'm not sure why this is happening. I have seen on other posts where users are asked to post the server log, but when I log into the web interface for 3CX, and click "Server Status" on the left, all I see is:

Code:
    3CX Phone System v2.0.835.0 Status: ONLINE  

Time Action Call ID Call source Call destination Message 
    14:51:26.875         ??: SL: connected server:0/PHPExtension_0 at [server]/PHPExtension_0 
    14:49:49.265         MediaServerConnected: Media Server is connected 
    14:49:49.265         ??: SL: connected server:0/MediaServer at [server]/MediaServer 
    14:49:44.734         SessionMgr::run: ** Adding transports ** 

Is this the correct log?

I am using a LAN, where all ports should be open.

Thanks,
    Brett

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

This means that the X-lite phone has failed to register on the proxy. Most probably the User ID and Password are incorrect, or you have not created the extension?

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Settings for Xlite

I just installed the latest version of Xlite - version 3.0. I configured it as follows

1. Created new SIP account
    2. In the SIP account properties, filled in the following fields

Display Name - Extension name or whatever
    username - Extension number
    Password - Extension password
    Authorization username - Repeated Extension number
    Domain - IP of 3Cx Phone System system

3. With these settings it worked right away.

note that we are aware of a problem with the voice mail system not recognizing DTMF tones generated by Xlite. We are working on this.

4. Brett

No, this still didn't work for me. I have phone extension 101 with password and user id 101, everything is 101.. I type in exactly as you posted in the latest verison of x-lite, and still the same problem. I am typing in my Local (LAN) IP of my server running 3CX. I still get 403, forbidden.

Any other ideas on whats wrong?

Thanks,
    Brett

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

server status log

Is the phone extension registering? If the server status log is as you initially showed, then there is no incoming traffic at all. Possibly a firewall blocking the port?

can you post the status server log?

6. Brett

I just figured out whats wrong.. I forgot I had Asterix Win32 running, and forgot to uninstall it. I guess that was interfering. Now that its all working great, I plan to sign up for Broadvoice's unlimited voice plan ($20/month).

I'm not totally sure how i'm going to set this up, but I'd like to have all of my phone lines wired into my 3CX PBX server. I once saw a short tutorial explaining how to do this with Asterix, but can't seem to find it now. I'm looking to do all of this conversion with minimal expenses (I don't want to buy 5 new VoIP phones).

So.. if I had the 3CX server just running next to where all of my telephone wires meet in my basement, that'd work OK right?

Also, I'd like to have each phone its own extension (if possible). I'm not sure if thats possible with analog phones wired into the VoIP lines, if not, its OK. I can still use softphones with extensions for in-house communication. Now when I get Broadvoice, I guess I 'add a vpn' line using the webconfig. With help from here and Broadvoice, I don't think that'll be too hard. But, will I have to setup a call rule, where I have to dial a certain number (maybe 9) to get to the "outside" line? If I didn't have that, and I had an extension as the same as a US area code, one would preside over the other. Whats the best way to go about this?

Thanks so much for all of your help!
    Brett

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Setup

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the update! I suspect that Asterisk was using port 5060 too and that it was taking the registration instead.

In any case, about your setup:

I assume you are talking about 5 PSTN phone lines right? If yes what you need is a VOIP Gateway. You can buy one with 8 ports. Grandstream sells 8 port VOIP gateways at about $400. A 4 port one costs $250. That VOIP gateway would run close to your phone lines. Youd plug in the phone lines to the gateway and then the gateway in to your network. More on VOIP Gateways here:

http://www.3cx.com/pbx/voip-gateway

The actual 3CX phone system can run anywhere on your network. You then need SIP phones. Its better to get rid of the analog phones. You can get ATA adapters for them but they are not much cheaper then buying a whole new SIP phone. You can either use soft phones as you said or you could use SIP hardware phones. More info here:

http://www.3cx.com/pbx/voip-phones

Once lines and extensions are setup, you can setup outbound rules to use wither Broadvoice or PSTN lines. For example you could setup a 0 prefix for PSTN lines and 0 prefix for Broadvoice lines.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!

8. Brett

Hi Nick, thanks for your responses and advice.

$400 for a VOIP gateway seems a bit pricey for me.

Could I use my 3CX server as my router, using a modem as a VoIP line out, so that I can plug in an analog phone into? Maybe if I had my server (3CX) have an internet connection, establishing the connection to Broadvoice, then using a modem line out and splitting it into something like 8 ways (prewired in house) so I can use analog phones? Or is that just not possible?

Maybe if that wouldn't work, I could use just one phone line - with an analog base, plugging in to the analog phone line in one spot in the house, then many extensions of the phone with just cradles. I'd have to use at least one ATA adapter for that, right? But, that would limit many of the features of having an SIP phone...

So would my first idea work out? Maybe even using the device provided by Broadvoice, but somehow wiring it though my 3CX server so I could still use most of the features?

What would you suggest for the most feature-rich design without using SIP phones or an 8 port gateway / router.

Thanks!
    Brett

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

VOIP gateway

No, a proper VOIP gateway would be required.

10. Brett

Alright I understand.

What if I were to just use one analog PSTN phone line?
    I could plug my 3CX PBX Server into the LAN, then in one location of the house use an ATA adapter to convert the VOIP to PSTN, and use a panasonic base with 5 extensions located in various locations throughout the house. That way, I'd only need one PSTN line, right?

I also understand that Broadvoice sends a free (plus shipping) device to use if you do not BYOD. This couldn't be used as the one ATA adapter, could it? If it is locked to their service, then I guess it couldn't be.

Brett

11. djohnson.wr

we have a person who works in Austrailia but she is getting error 403 when try to set up her voip phone to our London based voip server any ideas what could be causing this as xlite still works for her and this uses the same server

we copied across the following off xlite IP extention the entered the same password but 403 a peers