Registration Failing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Maggers, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggers

I have a problem with 3CTX and Timico VOIP provider. The registration sometimes fails to register so the incoming calls default to our Analogue lines.

The event log shows : [CM104001]: Registration at 'Timico' failed. Host 'sip:XXXXX@keme.co.uk:5060' is not available!

The 3CX log shows : 11:54:19.312|.\Registrar.cpp(599)|Log2|Registrar|ClientRegs::eek:nFailure:[CM504005]: Registration failed for: 10000@Timico; Cause: 503 Service Unavailable; warning: ; internal
    11:54:19.312|.\Registrar.cpp(609)|Log2|Registrar|ClientRegs::eek:nFailure:[CM504007]: Next attempt to register 10000@Timico is scheduled in 10 minutes

This happens randomly between 20 - 40 mins all the time. I have the Registration set to 120 seconds which I know is extreme but if I set it higher then the problem is I wont know if the connection needs re-registering for an hour at the least.

The other weird part is it even fails registration when there is a live call incoming.
    I have checked the firewall and there are no blocked packets to or from Timico on any ports including :
    TCP 5060
    UDP 5060
    UDP 9000
    UDP 5090
    TCP 5090
    UDP 10000 to 10049
    UDP 34285

Any help would be appreciated also does anyone know how to change the re-register time out from 10 mins ?

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

You are getting a 503 service unavailable, internal error.

This means your 3cx cannot locate the registrar. In your case you use an FQDN (keme.co.uk) so either your dns lookup is not working or their dns is not serving up the record for you in time or they are not on the other end of the ip address.

Try to change the keme.co.uk to a fixed ip instead to see if that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Maggers

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, I changed the FQDN to the IP address and got this error in the event log.

[CM104002]: Registration at 'Timico' failed. Host 'sip:XXXXX@195.54.255.8:5060' replied: 403 Forbidden; from IP:195.54.255.8:5060

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

It is a different error. This time you can reach them but they say you are forbidden.

Double check you put the right information in the provider for them. The Username and Password are the two main things they will want. Also check that they dont restrict registration to an ip address and you are coming from a different one. You can call them and ask them to check the registration request you are sending and see what is wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Maggers

Well it logs in with it set as keme.co.uk and is forbidden with the IP address.

Host 'sip:username@keme.co.uk:5060' << Logs in fine

Host 'sip:username@195.54.255.8:5060' << Forbidden

The problem is seems to fail registration on the first attempt but then when it does the retry 10 mins later it works fine .. but for those 10 mins our system is not functioning correctly.

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

That sounds like your system is slow at resolving DNS

You can force a registration by going to the VoiceProviders menu or Remote connections menu and click on the provider then click Refresh Registration

The first time you showed the error your system was not able to connect to keme.co.uk which implied no dns lookup. If you say it works 10 minutes later with no changes then something is slow to start. Does this only happen on reboot?

7. Maggers

We have been manually clicking the provider Refresh Registration which registers fine.

You got me thinking about the DNS and I did check the DNS resolution and all seemed within normal limits and I also checked the Hosts file on the server and keme.co.uk is in there so I do not think it can be a DNS problem.

Do you think it might possibly be a firewall time-out problem where the firewall is timing out the tunnel and its too slow brining it back up at the start of a registration process ? it would kind of make sense as we can manually register almost immediately after a fail and it works fine.

For your info we have registration set to 120 seconds, don't ask me why, this system was set up by an independent contractor and yes I know that's way too short but that's not the problem here the problem is it fails to register randomly but usually after 20 mins or so.

8. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Can you change that registration time to 1800 (30 minutes) as that is the default and may solve your problem.

I suspect 120 seconds is too little and your provider should reject it and send back another interval (the "standard" is 30 minutes and 3cx is default to 30 minutes) which 3cx may not be getting and is defaulting to 30 minutes. So lets see if 30 minutes works for now and we can go from there.

9. Maggers

We tried setting the Registration timeout to 1800 and 3600 but all that happened was the registration failed at 40 mins and 1hour 10 mins (Registration + 10 mins retry)

Its weird it never ever fails the retry.

10. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Are you using stun? Stun is set to recheck every 20 minutes (1200 seconds) by default. This is too coincidental that you failed at 20 mins, 40 mins (though the 70 mins throws me a bit)

Can you turn off stun? use an external ip address and have static port forwarding on your external firewall.

11. Maggers

It fails at 70 mins if we use 3600 seconds for the Time between registrations.

It is a wierd one. It seems to always fail if we set the Time between registrations higher than 120 seconds but at 120 seconds it only fails between 20 - 40 mins. It even fails when there is a live call on the trunk.

I seriously think it may be something to do with the firewall.

12. sunstate

sunstate Member

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem with lines from Nextiva. Everything will be working great then all of a sudden somebody says I can't dial out. So I check the status of that trunk and it's not registered. So I go in and manually click the refresh registration and it registers right away no problem. When I check the log I see the "Registration failed, 503 service unavailable" for that trunk.

13. smb1

smb1 New Member

You have incorrect ports open as well

you should have:

5060 TCP UDP
    5090 TCP If using tunnel
    9000-9049 UDP
    10000 if using fax

14. Wellington Tim

I am getting the same problem too; failing to register with VOIP-Unlimited . Also, within the random failure there is a pattern that registration always fails at 23 hour intervals give or take 5 minutes.. so today failure to register was at 9am, yesterday it was 10:03, the day before that 11:05 and so on.. Could it be firewall?

15. complex1

complex1 Active Member

I looked for 6 months back in my log files and only see “DNS failed or Service Unavailable” errors at the time I restart my router or modem. With other words, when I am losing the internet connection I get an error.
    But, I am also using the public OpenDNS server for years. IP-addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    Maybe that’s why I have no DNS fail problems.

16. Wellington Tim

After weeks of investigation, I have found the problem with my 3CX failing to register.. There is a problem with the DSL line into the building! After running Kiwi sys_log we found that the line just went dead at 23 hour intervals and at some random other times. After a line check, BT reported a high rate of errors on the line. The errors indicate a wiring or end user equipment fault, they can also be caused by electrical interference. As a precaution, I am replacing everything from the wall plate upto and including the router and then see if the problem persists.. if it does, BT will have to check the line from the pillar to the wall plate.

I wonder how many other problems reported here are caused by line faults. :O

17. Wellington Tim

For anyone who is interested, I have found the cause of all my WAN problems.. Failure to register and some QoS issues. It was caused by an improperly filtered RedCare Alarm system. The Alarm system uses the ADSL to report its status, but was flooding the line with masses of squarks from time-to-time because it wasn't properly connected or filtered. A very nice and helpful BT engineer reconnected the sytem and installed a proper filter at the face plate and now I no longer lose the WAN (and therefore registration) at 23 hour intervals. Also there is significantly less noise on the line so the QoS has improved.

Life lesson: if you are having network issues and RedCare is any where near, it's probably the Redcare that's to blame.. but don't bother raising the issue with RedCare, they will deny it's their problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.