Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Registration Problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by absolut, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolut

Hi there,
    i m new to voip technology .. so take it easy on me :)

i installed a 3CX server at work and added some computers (with X-Lite) and everything worked perfectly
    today i was trying to register my home X-Lite to the work 3CX server with no success .. (registration timed-out)

can anyone help me regarding the configuration of the 3CX and the X-Lite for an external extension ..
    any suggestion or link or idea would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
    Hisham

2. matthijsolislagers

matthijsolislagers New Member

It shouldn't be a problem. Have you opened the ports on your firewall?

3. absolut

well i checked the work router, which is a DLink .. and the firewall and filter settings are still set to default .. no changes.
    the PC firewalls are turned off .. on both computers
    which ports should i enable and on which router or computer

thanks in advance
    Hisham

4. matthijsolislagers

matthijsolislagers New Member

On the server network:
    -Forward port 5060 UDP to the ip of the router
    -Forward port 9000-9015 UDP to the ip of the router
    -Open these ports as well on the server computer (if firewall turned on)

On the client network.
    -Make sure outgoing traffic isn't blocked.

5. aguilar

aguilar New Member

hi
    also check windows firewall
    cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. absolut

1- if my PC firewall is set to off .. will the traffic of ports 5060 & 9000-9015 be forwarded to the 3CX?
    or should i enable the firewall and change the settings of each port?

2- how will the 3CX know the exact IP address of the external user (the one not on the server LAN)?
    both systems r using the same STUN server .. but how will they identify each other?

thanks in advance,
    Hisham

7. landfiets

landfiets New Member

The external user is logging itself in in your 3CX. You filled out the WAN IP adress in the external extension with the right ID and password, 3CX (when the right ports are open) will accept that registration because the credentials match.
    So it is the extension which is contacting 3CX.

Do not only open firewall ports by rules but also NAT port forwarding otherwise it won't work or just work with problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. absolut

Well i managed to register the external extension .. i wasnt using the External IP address of the 3CX server (my bad)
    on the other hand, i m getting these errors when performing the Firewall Test
    The external extension was able to call the internal one but with one way audio
    I have DLink routers on both ends (DI624 & DI524)
    I think i managed to port forward to the IP address of the 3CX server but i think the problem is caused by the PAT (Port Address Translation) running on the routers(i think it can be seen from the warnings above). I ve run a small emulator and it said that i m running behing a full cone NAT with PAT enabled.
    I ve searched in the DLink menu for the PAT but with no success ..
    So any idea?
    Is there a difference between the firewall port forwading the NAT port forwarding? Please explain

Thanks,
    Hisham

9. William400

William400 Well-Known Member

Hi

Since we are talking about an external extension, your best bet would be to use the 3CX Client and configure the Tunnel.

This requires only port 5090 TCP to be open on the firewall router.

You should be up and running in 10 minutes max.

The manual has all the tunnel info you need.

10. landfiets

landfiets New Member

Sorry but I don't agree. 3CX should be able together with right configuring to just let people use hardware phones externally.
    When you say that you should use the voip client with tunnel, you give yourself immed. a limitation for what 3CX is able to.
    I think you should try to figure out how to make it work without going to use the voipclient. I've never heard of a PBX which was forcing you to only use your own addit. software. Yeah I know one........SKYPE.

11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

It lets. The only question is how to configure that hardware properly.

12. landfiets

landfiets New Member

Exactly !! I agree with Archie, but it is a bit hard I believe and normally an external extension must be able to login 3CX without a tunnel. I run several extensions here without any problem, all external

13. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

It all depends on firwall/NAT device you have. Tunnel allows to narrow firewall/NAT issues to single port.

14. William400

#14 William400, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  15. absolut

Well after testing so many settings on the firewall of my DLinks .. i came to a conclusion that the DLink DI524 does not support static port mapping (i have attached a print screen of my firewall rules .. please check and let me know what do you think)
    Using these settings .. when i run the Firewall Test in the 3CX i get the warning (10) "Port is open, but port number has been changed. In many cases, this will present a problem and cause one way audio or no inbound calls".
    i only managed to call from the external extension with one way audio and couldnt generate an inbound call

Thanks all for you Help,
    Hisham

16. William400

Hi

These look good to me but you are missing STUN 3478 UDP.

If this does not work and the firewall checker reports errors, your best best is to change router.

17. absolut

Yeah true .. in these settings i didnt add the STUN 3478 UDP port
    In previous tests, i added this port and as i said, managed to call from an external extension with one way audio.

If someone has managed to make it work using DLinks, please let me know
    Otherwise i m thinking of getting some LinkSys routers and test again

*Edit: i m behind a double NATted connection .. my WAN is: 10.40.xx.xx! is this might be the problem?
    because i read somewhere that if i m NATted from my provider i cant set up Servers and it just wont work

Regards,
    Hisham

18. William400

Hi

NAT can be a headache in itself.

Double NAT i would avoid totally. Get a static public IP from your ISP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.