Related to license between two machines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by alexko, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexko

I will be using this method to move my v14 installation to the v15.5

What I want to do is install the v15.5 on a new machine, import the backup and when the procedure is finished move the new machine to the office and replace the old one.

The two boxes will have the same local ip but everything else is different. Public ip (temporaly until moved to office location), FQDN (will be used a 3CX provided on the v15.5 installation), MAC address. What happens in this situation with the license?

Will importing my backup break the old installation? Also when I move the box and replace the old one, is it possible to change easily to the new public ip? Should I import my backup with the dynamic public ip option enabled to avoid changing the ip later?

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I do not believe there is a specific answer to the question as the dynamics behind how 3CX authenticates is not made known. I do know that they look at IP, MAC and the like in order to insure that someone is not attempting to misuse the license in some way, but at what point the trigger to revert your paid license into a free version comes into play is a secret.

I have had a dew clients where this has happened and I have been able to contact support on their behalf and get them back up and running. If you are or have a reseller, then it might behoove you to contact support and see or at least give a head's up as to your intent.

The backup in itself should not break the system as you are given the chance to replace the IP in the initial installation. While I could be wrong, I also seem to recall that while it was deemed not possible to change an IP after installation that this was subsequently overcome in later versions or upgrades. However, having said all the above, if it were me, I would probably try and move to the new machine while on-site rather than trying to install on a new machine off-site. As you did not mention what will be going on with the old machine while you are installing on the new machine, I assume the intent is to have the old machine still running in the meantime. Having two machines running the same FQDNs but with different resolvable IP addresses is asking for trouble and the amount of time that it takes to do a backup from one machine while installing the other machine and a restore is not all that time consuming. Just be sure to take the old machine off-line when doing the restore to the new machine.

3. alexko

Ineblett, yes that was the thought, to have the machines up and running until the new ones are finished.
    Also the second one is on a remote place that I cannot be physically.
    The one of the two has an FQDN but is not bound with the license because it is a v14 installation and this was added on v15.

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @alexko

On V14 the key is bound to the MAC of the machine. Changing the mac address of where the licence is installed a number of times will result to the licence locking up. If that happens you will need to contact our sales department so they can have a look at your issue.
    When you install V15 you will need an active internet connection so that the licence can be activated and the key is bound to the MAC address and the FQDN. When the activation happens your key will be auto upgraded from v14 to v15 (if you have active maintenance) and if you are on another machine the MAC address will change. When this happens your v14 installation will be deactivated and revert to free.
    With that in mind i would recommend taking V14 offline before you start the installation of V15.5 to avoid issues with the activation of the key.
    Make sure that local IP of the PBX remains the same. As for the public IP that can be easily changed after installation. You can also set it to dynamic and once the machine is at the correct location then set it to static and restart services.

5. alexko

Hello Yiannis,

Thank you for your answer. I know now how to proceed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.