Remote Access Installation - Sound Problem

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rnoguera, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnoguera

We installed Skype and the Gateway using remote access (console session).
    The server didn't had a sound card, but probably the remote access session provides some sort of sound card emulation, so we didn't get any warning.
    We could install the software correctly but it didn't work (ininteligible audio).

We installed a "real" sound blaster card on the server and the Gateway started working correctly.

Just in case someone does the same mistake.

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.
    On the same subject, I want to add that similar audio issue (poor quality) we encountered (it's true, randomly, but quite often) when gateway (and its Skype) has been installed on various virtual machines. Sometimes, even the standalone Skype was unable to provide (a good quality) audio.

Best regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. busch

So - we are running on XP in a VMware environment.
    Does that mean it will not work at all for us, or does in mean we need to install the Skype gateway on a physical machine with a sound Card?

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    If the computer on which VMware is running has sound card, then is only a matter of VMware settings. I repeat, 3CX Gateway doesn't need audio card, but Skype - yes, and Gateway requires Skype.
    As a personal opinion, I'm not a big fan at all of running such kind of applications on VM, since they requires "real-time" hardware resources which, on VM, are virtualized, with all performance downgrade this implies.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.