• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Remote and Local Phone for same extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

telis

Bronze Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
We have a user who spends some time in the office and some time at home and we use Snom821 handsets so I wanted to provision one handset for him in the office and one at home. 3cx is latest version.

1. It seems that this is not possible, is this correct? Is there a reason why?
2. What we be the recommended way of dealing with this scenario (i.e. user wants two extensions one remote one local)?

Many thanks.

Not quite right - It's not possible to have the system auto-provision the two phones, but it is possible to manually set up both phones as the same extension number if you wanted to. Then alter the home-office phone to be a remote extension with the little tweaks that make it possible to work remotely as it should. 3CX will happily deliver the ringing to both phones simultaneously, then you answer the one you are closest to.

If you did want to auto-provision both phones, then I'd suggest that you set up a different extension number, and all you have to do is to put that new extension number as the 'mobile' entry in your extension configuration (then tick the 'ring my mobile ...' option in the Forwarding section). This will create a very simple 'simultaneous ring' of both your published extension, and your home-office.

I'd prefer it this way, as then any changes can go via the provisioning route for both phones ...

best regards ...

Thanks 3CXfoxhallsolutions.

There are two problems with the set up you suggest from our perspective:-

1. We are already using the mobile simultaneous ring feature to ring mobiles.
2. We have the global option to prevent mobile ringing on huntgroup calls.

That said I have provisioned the remote phone and the local phone is still working. I suppose if I need to re-provision I'll just have to switch the extension from one handset to the other again, which is a tolerable workaround.

I wonder if this is an edge case or is it a common way of working?

In regard to 1, you can just shift the mobile number to the profile of the second extension ... in other words, the call will ring the primary extension, the secondary extension AND the mobile!

It is fairly common, as we often get asked to set up 'clone' home office extensions. I'll typically set it up as another extension with a full remote extension profile, then manually edit the phone to a) turn off the provisioning (i.e. freeze the config'), and b) then to change the extension username & password to make it the same.

@3CXfoxhallsolutions. Thanks for the answer in regard to 1 - I hadn't thought of that - very clever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sprice352
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.