• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Remote Extension Ipphone not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

szzgnn

Reaction score
Hi Dears,

We are trying for test version of 3CX Software with Cisco SPA502G IP phones in our company. In the probationary period could have picked a problem with using 3CX SIP Proxy Manager.

In that; We installed the proxy manager to remote host, configured and tested along with a Cicso SPA502G IP Phone. We have successfully completed the configuration from the website by taking samples scenario. (http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/sip-proxy-manager/). We configured router and firewall settings as correctly, First added extension status is green and working well. Ringing, 2 ways sound communication is OK. There is no problem.

After that we have tried to add 2nd and 3rd Ipphone (Cisco SPA502G) and configured provisioning settings for extension as remotely (like first one), according to instruction of 3CX web site samples again as well. (http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/)

BUT;

in the second and third IP Phones, not receiving any respons from the 3CX Phone System Management software. The provisioning and registration not working. Also we have tried to set as manually provisioning script and settings like samples from website of 3CX, but still not provisioning. (http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/)

Still extension 127 is working with remote extension via sip proxy tunnel. But 124 and 201 is not.

If any idea of anyone, please share with me the ideas, solutions....

Thank you.
Sezgin.

Attachments

• snagit.png
    snagit.png
    331.7 KB · Views: 782
The SIP proxy manager works quite well for most remote installations and as you are using SPA phones, this should not present a problem as these are supported.

Unfortunately, while you have described a number of actions you have taken to get things working, the actual details of how things are set is missing. In order for remote provisioning to work, port 5000 TCP needs to be forwarded to the 3CX system at the host site. If this is set correctly and the phones themselves have been manually provisioned with the public IP of the 3CX server location in the appropriate configuration/provisioning fields, then the phones should be able to pick up their respective details, provided that you have also set-up the extensions with the associated MAC address and settings within the 3CX system.
The configuration field in the phone web interface should show:
http://PublicIPofPBX:5000/provisioning/%%ProvSubDir%%/$MA.xml
Where “PublicIPofPBX” should be replaced with the public IP address of 3CX Phone System and %%ProvSubDir%% variable should be replaced with the Provisioning Sub Directory folder name.

Provisioning is handled outside of the SIP proxy manager. I am picking this aspect first, as regardless of the SIP proxy condition, if the provisioning aspect is handled, then you should see the phone pick up the extension attributes and you will know that at least this aspect is working and then you can tackle the registration and audio issues.

One thing that may help is to post the associated logs. We believe you when you indicate that the phones are not registered, so showing us the picture that supports the claim really does not help us help you. At this point I am guessing that nothing will be in the logs, but I could be wrong if the phones did pick up their attributes. If so, you will be able to see the extension number and you can also look in the phone web interface and see if some of the pertinent fields were populated with data from 3CX. If this is the case, then some info might be found in the 3CX system logs.

Some of the issues that might be encountered are:

Is the extension enabled for use outside of the LAN?
Is the remote IP blacklisted? Most likely not if the one remote phone is working.

What router is in play at both locations (3CX side and remote)?

It may also help to show a snapshot of the phone settings; just be certain to mask any details that would show Public IP addresses or other sensitive data.

Hi there!

lneblett is absolutely right on all points, all I would like to supplement is that judging from your screenshot you are using V12 SP6, but the SIP Proxy Manager was designed for V11 and is nearing end-of-life. Despite it still being functional I would suggest looking into 3CX Session Border Controller (3CX SBC) that can run either on Windows or a Raspberry Pi.

More info about this in the following link:
http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/3cx-session-border-controller

NICK_D

Interesting. However, Version 12 still shows the availability of the SIP Proxy manager in the phone provisioning pull down tab. Further, the following link, which was just edited today, indicates that the SIP Proxy Manager is suitable for V11 and above.
http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/

I had assumed that the SIP proxy manager would still be supported due to the fact that there must be many systems who used it previously and have since upgraded to V12. If not, I think there would likely be a hue and cry about having to abandon one solution for another. The knock on the SBC is that is does not currently support HTTP requests and is therefore not compatible with CLI.

The SBC is a good solution, however, I assume that you do not have one available....yet. In the meantime, and with a little bit of effort, you may be able to remote the phones without the SBC or SIP proxy manager. Follow the guidelines for remote extensions/phones found in the Blog and look for the Cisco SPA. Hopefully, you have a static public IP (if not, then all bets off)at the 3CX side and you have already passed the firewall checker. Set the extensions for STUN in the phone provisioning tabs at 3CX. You may need to play around a bit with the SIP ports being assigned, but this may be dependent on your router at the remote site. Also, to be safe, forward the ports to the 3CX system as well. 3CX will normally want 5060, but because the remote ports will be different for both SIP and RTP, these need to be accommodated as well.

Hi Dears,

Thank you for your replies.
Let me try to some information more.

Main office
Static IP - Fiber 50 Mbps (3cx Phone System Manager)
Protecting with Juniper Srx Firewall device
Ports are forwarded as protocol TCP&UDP (both) to the server which is 3CX Phone System Manager
5060 to 5065
5080 to 5090
9000 to 9049

Branch office
Static IP - 8 Mbps ADSL (Sip proxy manager)
Protecting with Zyxel regular adsl/firewall device
Ports are forwarded as protocol TCP&UDP (both) to the server which is SIP Proxy Manager installed.
5060 to 5065
5080 to 5090
9000 to 9049

The rules of ports are (Main Office) from internet to lan way is open and reachable.
The rules of ports are (Branch Office) from internet to lan way is open and reachable.
i'm confused again, what is the exact problem i couldnt catch. That number of extension 127 is working with SIP Proxy Manager with Cisco SPA502G that Firmware of SPA is 7.5.2
Im trying to communicate via proxy manager without any device or session border controller if possible.
So, should i downgrade the phone system manager to v11?

Thanks for your time again.

I do not think that there is any reason to consider downgrading to V11. With regard to port forwarding, you may have gone a little overboard. At the 3CX Side, forward:
5000 TCP
5060-5065 TCP/UDP (assuming a range of SIP ports is needed)
5090 TCP/UDP
9000-9049 UDP, This may vary depending on which edition you have (edition = simultaneous calls, 2 per call)
Once configured, run the firewall checker to be safe/sure that all passes.

At the branch office, you really need not port forward anything other than perhaps port 5080 TCP/UDP to the PC that is running the SIP proxy manager. All the info normally communicated by the other ports is "condensed" into port 5080 & 5090 when using the proxy manager. Then, set the phones up to point to the proxy manager as indicated in the blog.

As I indicated earlier, if you want the 3CX system to provision the phones, then you will need to set up the phone extensions in the 3CX system first which must include the phone MAC address. Once done, you will then need to manually provision the phone using the instructions provided earlier. This tells the phone where to go in order to retrieve its configuration file. The provisioning is separate from the proxy aspect. If the phone retrieves its configuration, you should see evidence of this in the display. However, you may still need to do some additional configuration afterwards as the provisioning will not likely know about the proxy manager IP address, so you will still likely need to modify the SIP server details to indicate the proxy manager rather than the 3CX system.

Personally, I try and avoid the use of the proxy manager. I do so as it does require a machine on which the code can run and I find it problematic in some instances to deal with the human aspect - that is to say people turning the machine off, the potential for a dedicated machine (cost), etc. However, in some cases the proxy manager can be a life saver it it means getting to avoid fights with a firewall.

I try and avoid the need for it and have had good luck so far with small remote installs. I will use STUN and set up each phone according to the 3CX blog for remote phones & STUN. In some cases I may assign a different SIP port for each extension and then forward that port to its respective phone/extension at the remote site. A lot has to do with the router and how problematic it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mendy E
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.