Remote extension registers with internal IP address

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Lukas, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukas

Hello all! I hope that I am about to ask a rather stupid question and you will be able to help, as I banged my head on this for a whole day without being able to overcome the problem.

I have a Linksys PAP2 configured as a remote extension (201) which nicely registers with the PBX, the problem is that it registers with its own local internal IP address:

[CM504001]: Ext.201: new contact is registered. Contact(s): [sip:201@192.168.1.2:5060/201]

Clearly, when another extension attempts to call 201 the PBX cannot establish a route since there is no 192.168.1.2 to be reached...

What I have tried:

--enabled stun on the PAP2, tried several stun servers (even by IP, just in case -- but DNS is fine)

-- made a 192.168.1.2 a DMZ host on the remote network, so that it could receive all traffic, not necessary but let's take away any concern about port forwarding

-- searched, searched, searched, but obviously in the wrong places as I haven't been able to come up with anything.

Does anyone know what else I could try to make this work?

Thank you so much for your help!!

2. Lukas

Ok, now I am even more confused... I tried registering with another PBX we are testing, and albeit the registrantion entry still shows

sip:201@192.168.1.2:5061

the other PBX does have a column showing the public IP address of the PAP2.

Do I need to configure 3CX to support this scenario?

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the internal address of an external extension is showing up in the registration, then STUN has probably not been set up properly on the remote set/ATA.

4. Lukas

I think you are right -- I just don't get what I am doing wrong, and the fact that the other PBX product works is making it harder for me to understand. Could it be that it has a sort of "dumb user protection" where it understands that I was so stupid to get STUN configuration wrong and associates the extension with the IP address it connects with when it registers itself? Or, rather, the question should be: Is this something that can be enabled on 3CX?

But the real solution would be configuring the ATA properly, of course. I read that robhazes is using 3CX with PAP2... I tried sending him a PM, but my PM remain in outbox and are not sent. Maybe a forum administrator could help me with that?

Incidentally, to those who might be wondering why I am going crazy over this if the other PBX works already: well, 3CX has such superior features and ease of administration that it is really work some banging of head to make it work with existing equipment...

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A search of the web comes up with a number of PAP2 users that have had STUN issues, such as this...http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_10929.html Or right from the 3CX site...http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/

6. Lukas

I have finally found the solution to the problem above. I am posting it here as it might be helpful to other people trying to recycle older hardware.

The problem was not in what I was doing, but in the PAP2 firmware. I was running version 2.0.12(LS) which must have problems.

All I did to solve the problem is to upgrade to 3.1.3(LS) -- and it worked with the same setting which would not work before.

Now, mind you, it is not easy to find the firmware upgrade. Linksys has been bought by Cisco, and the product is rather old.

I was able to download a copy of the firmware here:

https://assistenza.ngi.it/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=8

Hope it helps someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.