Remote Extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by henpro, Mar 16, 2007.

1. henpro

I want to know if 3CX support remote extension. If it support remote extension, how can we setup the remote extension. For example if I add an extension number 232, can this extension will work in remote or from other places?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Possible in theory, but that is the problem is it not, theory never works in practise :).

There was a chap called vanDivX, trying to do the same thing from memory, he is in the progress of becomming Bell Canada's biggest competitor :).

Have a search for his name or search for "bell canada" there are some posts on what you want to do.

Henk.

3. vanDivX

LOL@itfarmer

its like this, you can make remote extension very simply, what is hard is to make the audio work both ways if at all when you try to call

just setup normal extension in pbx and in the remote phone you just have to enter public IP of your pbx and the remote phone will register to your 3CX pbx in no time, then you see if you can get audio working

if you leave your Local port in the remote softphone at the default 5060 value, you should forward to that PC ports 5060 & 5062 on the router/firewall in that remote location (and while you are at it, you might as well forward also port 5064 in case you make 3party conference call)

problem is that typically (these days) both the pbx and your remote extension will sit behind a NAT router and when both sides that want to talk to each other are behind such devices the audio doesn't work or works just one way, it looks like that is insurmountable problem in the industry, what is needed is a third waypoint (server) that sits exposed someplace on internet that will mediate (rellay) the calls you make - that way you are really making calls beween two locations only one of which is behind NAT router (your phone or your pbx) and it should work then, that is in theory as the guy said :D

it might be good idea to enter in remote extension in STUN server field 'stun.3cx.com' as it might make things work, I don't know if it helps, I didn't get chance to make calls since I figured that one out, that should the such third party server I wrote about just now that should act as middleman but that's just theory again :roll:

I'll let you know if it works as soon as I can test it again

vanDivX

4. 3CXsupport

3CXsupport New Member
    3CX Support

Be sure to set the 'bind to Media Server' option for that external phone. You need the PBX acting as a RTP proxy. If your external extention is listening for RTP on say port 32424 make sure that your router is going to forward that incoming RTP to the phone.

It can get tricky but with the right ammount of understanding / traffic analysis the 'no audio' issues are quite straightforward and traceable.

5. moto_sprint

Hello
    I just i install pbx 3cx, with some SPA941 extensions with allso one SPA3102.
    But my inquiery how I can setup a remot extension,?
    Can some one help me to configure the setup in the virtual 3cxphone or SJphone and if can be better, I will buy othe SPA941.

Note: sorry but my enghish is very bad!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks