• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Remote extensions site router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaker73

Platinum Partner
Reaction score
Looked around but didn't find much up to date data. Hopefully you can save a lot or research time. Can you guys give recommendations on newer routers make/model that have proven to work well with STUN remote extension small office sites with 10-30 and 30+ users and are easy for the client to manage with limited knowledge (no CLI)? Most are not hosting anything locally as everything seems to be in the cloud now, RDP sessions, mail etc.

Thanks for your help!

With this amount of extensions I would not use STUN - with stun each phone will need a different sip port / block of rtp ports and the hardest part you will have to portforward these to the IP address of the phone

Either create a site to site VPN , or use SBC https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

We've had great success using pfsense for the firewall for the phone server, and using it to export an openvpn client config thay can be uploaded to yealink phones. No extra hardware needed, just a power plug.

Hello @bbaker73
The SBC is suitable for sites with multiple IP Phones in the same LAN. It simplifies things and will also keep audio traffic local to the LAN thus reducing bandwidth consumption.With this in mind i'll agree with @Saqqara

On the bigger ones, I probably will look towards SBC. Problem with remote clients so far is they tend to not have an IT person, so I'm trying to limit equipment that needs managed at the remote sites. I don't have control over their network, just remote guidance. Remote STUN has worked well so far with existing clients. Going forward, I'm trying to compile suggested routers for these smaller offices that I can recommend to them to purchase on their own that will not have issues with voip. Since we're recording all calls for them, keeping local LAN audio local isn't a concern. Bigger clients tend to have IT person and also use a more robust router like an ASA which is handling the STUN extensions just fine.

But as far as SBC goes, knowing that I don't have direct remote access to their network, and limited help on their end, what is the best implementation for this type of client, lets say 5-20 extensions? PI, Windows workstation? I guess with Windows, it would be easy to set up remote access if they allowed. What is the ongoing maintenance of an SBC going to be, i.e. how often does 3CX have updates that will need applied? Also, I know I'll gain some capabilities, but seems like when I did test it a while back, MAKECALL did not work with 3CX client at the remote site or via RDP to a remote server elsewhere and the phone on the remote LAN behind the SBC. My clients use custom CRM local or hosted and we use MAKECALL, Windows API, and 3CX client CTI to get them click to call functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.