Remote extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by linuchero, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuchero

Hi, l'm again with another dude/problem.

l have my 3CX phone system v9 working quite fine! l installed and configured an extension for my android cellphone by the wifi and everything's ok!

But now, l want to create a remote extension. l have read just some how to on the 3cx webpage and l know that l have to let pass some ports on my router and all that there is no problem because l manage all my networks with linux servers.

As l understood, l have to ways to do it, one is just pointing to my PUBLIC IP and the other one is create a tunnel. Which are the differences?

I'd like to do it by the two ways.

And what ports do l have to let pass? l did it on ports (5060-5090) and (9000-9049).

Is it right?

Thank's, greetings

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A lot will depend on what sort of devices you plan to use. The ports you have forwarded should handle everything. If you want to use the 3CX tunnel, then only port 5090 is needed. However, the tunnel requires that you are using either the 3CX phone (one of the versions), or the 3CX Proxy server, as they are the only devices that can use the tunnel (and the single port).
    If you are going to use another type of SIP device, then Port 5060 and one of the 9000 range ports will be used.

3. linuchero

sorry for answering until now, but l have a lot of job!!!

I'm going to test using the 3cx tunnel and 3cx proxy server.

In some days l will post my results.

Regards

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

The differenece between the tunnel and just a remote extension is the tunnel only works with the 3cx softphone it acts as a VPNj and helps with QoS issues in addition it does help other issues that arise from ising just a remote extension which does work fine most of the time. I'd suggest you use it if you are using a softphone but if your giong to use a handset you simply provision the public IP of the pbx and configure everything else in the phones web gui the same as an extension on site. Good Luck!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.