Remote offices - I have a question on routing traffic

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by BrettStyles, Aug 4, 2007.

1. BrettStyles

I have set up a 3CX pabx at our Melbourne office and have added some external branch extensions. When a call is made from an external branch to the voip provider does all traffic route through our Melbourne office pabx? If so, does that mean that external branchs consume upload/download bandwidth at the PABX office?

2. Ralph

Ralph Member

In a word yes

If your external extensions are set up to use your main office PBX then they will use some of the bandwidth at the main office with each call they make or answer since you have the connection from the external phone to the PBX and from the PBX to the call destination.

Take care,

3. BrettStyles

Thanks Ralph.

Is it possible then to set up 3CX at each office and transfer between systems. ie extn 150 on remote transfers to extn 150 main office?

4. Ralph

Ralph Member

Hi Brett

I don't think you can transfer between extensions that reside on 2 different 3CX servers.

However you can transfer from an extension to a phone number on the other box. For example you can have an extension automatically transfer to a phone number that just happens to be one of the lines on your other box and you can have that line go directly to another extension on that box. Keep in mind you would be using 3 lines to do this (the line originally called on, the line making the call to your other box, and the line answering the call on your other box).

Take care

5. BrettStyles

Thank, looks like I just going to have to buy more bandwidth at the main office.

6. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Multi/Branch Office Integration I believe is on the Q4 roadmap. This should allow for multiple 3CX servers in multiple offices. they would appear as 1 phone system.

7. Ralph

Ralph Member

Thanks tJ

Thanks tj,

That is good to know :D

8. Ralph

Ralph Member

If you haven't already done so check this out:

Hey Brett,

If you haven't already done so check this out:

http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1968

Take care

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BrettStyles,

In general the traffic bottleneck will be where the call comes in.

If you HQ PBX will deal with all the incomming calls than you will have the main traffic there.

What you can do is to have the PBX's routing the calls initiated to their local VSP or pop and have the calls to the HQ routed via your network.

It is reasonable flexible in that regards.

But Ralph is correct about the traffic whammy if all calls are routed through the HQ.

The end of the day it depends on your network topology and your end points.

You being in Melbourne, give me a call when you get stuck.